1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding New Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Jul 10, 2007.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate. My current Windows C Drive is a Seagate 160 GB drive. I just purchased a new 500 GB drive, and want that as my main drive. However, once I install it and install Vista, I still want to be able to access the 160 GB, but just not as my Windows drive. Confused yet? lol Basically, what will happen if I connect both of these drives to the motherboard at the same time? Could I go into the BIOS and tell it to load the 500 GB hard drive first, or would that not make any difference?

2. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    May I ask, why do you want to put Vista on the larger drive?

I ALWAYS have 2 hard drives in my PC, I have Windows and all my applications on one- the C drive of course and I always buy a larger one for all my data. That why if I ever need to format and re-install the data is untouched.

As for the size, I always need the bigger drive for my data, with music, videos and other large files, I'd keep the 500 GB drive as the data or second hard drive. 160 GB is plenty big enough for Windows and your applications.

3. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm trying to install the 500 GB drive, but can't seem to. Windows won't finish installation, and if I run Book N Nuke, it starts at 0.06% and that's where it stays. The BIOS sees the drive, and when I start Windows on the 160 GB drive, it installs drivers for the 500 GB drive, and it shows up under the Device Manager, but I can't actually get into the hard drive. Any ideas?

4. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Did you try to use the Disk Management under the "Computer Management" program. Try to format as a NTFS drive there, after I did that, my Vista saw the 500 GB drive just fine. Be patient though, it'll take awhile.

5. AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK Icon

Jan 28, 2006
    New Drive? You need to right click my computer, click manage, click "Disk Management", find your new drive in the list on the bottom, right click on the drive and choose to create a new partion and follow the wizard.

Or you can download and install the software for the drive, Seagate, and all the others have software you can use to install a drive and will normally do all this for you.

The problem you likely have is that you have not created a partion on the drive and formatted it for windows to use.

Something else to throw in here, you can mount the drive in both a drive letter and to a folder on your current system drive (which is probably C: Drive.)