1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding new receivers

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jkimrey, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jkimrey

jkimrey AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    I just had DirecTV installed a couple weeks ago, and would like to have two additional receivers installed. DirecTV is going to charge me around $200 for each additional receiver, so I found two used ones that can be activated (not on existing account and not previously leased).

My question is this:

Since they are used receivers, I will be responsible for wiring everything up.

I'm rather clueless on how it all works, but my brother in law does similar type installs for his business and says he can get everything wired/set up for me.

Right now, I have three receivers (HD DVR, HD, and SD), and I believe I have a SWM install. I'd like to add the two new receivers, both being SD DVRs.

Just wanted to make sure that DirecTV would be okay with the BIL doing any additional wiring necessary? I'm also not sure if the SWM can handle that many inputs (3 DVRs and 2 "non DVR" receivers)? If a different setup is required (multiswitch?) would DTV care if he changed this??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    A SWiM can handle 8 tuners, so 3 DVRs + 2 receivers equals eight.
    Make sure these receivers are SWiM compatible, as not all are.

3. jkimrey

jkimrey AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    Thanks - what's the easiest way to determine whether the receivers are SWiM compatible? Is there a list available?

4. jkimrey

jkimrey AllStar

Nov 24, 2005
    Actually two of the receivers I wanted to add are older DirecTivo boxes. I know that they have to have RIDs, which they both do, but I bet they won't be SWiM compatible will they? :(

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I think you may be hosed, as the R16 for DVR & D12 for receivers are the first that work with SWiM. If these are R15 or D11, or earlier they aren't.

6. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Here is a list of SWM and MRV compatible receivers. Any newer receiver (like the H25) should be compatible.

Receiver Compatibility

:)

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    None of the older DirecTivo units are SWM capable.

You do still have some options though. You can replace the LNB in your dish with a conventional (non-SWM), then add an external SWM8 to provide the SWM feeds for your newer equipment. The SWM8 also has 3 legacy outputs so you could either (a) feed the two DirecTivos directly (one with dual tuner function, one with single tuner function), or (b) use a second legacy multiswitch to provide 4 outputs to feed the DirecTivo units.

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If all you want is two additional SD-DVRs DirecTV should only be charging $99 each, or $198 total. Why are they trying to charge you $400?