1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding New Roommate's Receiver to My Current Directv Setup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by jgrif69607, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1 of 14
    jgrif69607

jgrif69607 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    suwanee ga
    Currently I have one Genie receiver in my family room. One coax cable from the wall goes to the back of the Genie- other coax cable from the wall goes to the SWM module the tech installed.

I have a new roommate moving in. He has his own Directv account and wants to be able to watch his programming in my family room. He is bringing his receiver with him- how do we connect the receiver to the dish?

Since only one of the existing coax cables is connected to the Genie, I'd assumed I would connect the second coax cable to the second receiver. Now that I've discovered the second cable is already connected to this SWM module I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Sep 9, 2013 #2 of 14
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I assume this "SWM module" is actually a power inserter or "PI" which is used to provide power to the SWiM-LNB at the dish.

If so, then the easiest way to do this would be to run RG-6 coax from the "to IRD" output side of the PI to your roommate's receiver.

What type of receiver does your new roommate have anyway?

NOTE: The tech. may have placed a terminating cap on that output port. If so simply remove it.

3. Sep 9, 2013 #3 of 14
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The SWM module to which you are referring, is it a Power Inserter (PI)? Does it have a power cord that goes to a wall outlet (that would be a PI then)?

You have a couple of options. With the PI, there is a pass through that you can connect another coax to that would go to your roommate's receiver. You could also install a splitter between either the Genie or the PI and the wall outlet and then connect another coax to the splitter to add on your roommate's receiver.

Do you have any other receivers in your setup besides the Genie? If so, you need to be careful about going over the maximum number of tuners that your setup will allow (typically 8 tuners; the Genie has 5, DVRs have 2, receivers have 1, and Genie clients have 0).

You also need to be aware if you are using Whole Home or not on your network. If you are and you want to share recordings (and vice versa) with your roommate, your roommate will need to install a DECA behind their receiver if it is not a HR24. If you don't want to share recordings or if your roommate does not have a HR24, they will need to install a Band Stop Filter (BSF) behind their DVR.

BTW, welcome to DBSTalk!

- Merg

4. Sep 9, 2013 #4 of 14
    jgrif69607

jgrif69607 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    suwanee ga
    Thanks HoTat2 and The Merg for your replies.

Yes, the device I called an SWM Module is in fact a Power Inserter. My initial plan was to run coax from the "Signal to IRD" port on the Power Inserter to my friend's HR21-200 receiver. However, when I researched "IRD ports" I came across this post:
    http://forums.solidsignal.com/showthread.php/2116-TIP-A-better-way-to-connect-your-DIRECTV-Power-Inserter...which says (among other things) "First of all, I don't recommend ever using the "Signal to IRD" port. Not ever. Why?" The post states that connecting a receiver to this port will "fry the receiver".

Is it in fact safe to connect a receiver to this IRD port? I'd have a lot of explaining to do if I damaged my friend's receiver. Thanks again for your replies

5. Sep 9, 2013 #5 of 14
    Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I installed a splitter from my PI to run a Genie and a client in the same location on the same TV. It is simple and effective.

6. Sep 9, 2013 #6 of 14
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Does he want the receiver in his room And to use Whole Home Service?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

7. Sep 9, 2013 #7 of 14
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, perhaps we should confirm, as HoTat2 suggested, that the TS's roomie has an SWM capable receiver.

8. Sep 9, 2013 #8 of 14
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    People have reported issues when running a receiver directly off of a PI if the coax cable from the PI to the receiver is short. Some suggestions have been to add a splitter and put the PI off the power passing side of the splitter and the receiver off the other or just using a long piece of coax from the PI to the receiver (like a coil of 15' of cable).

- Merg

9. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And the fried ones are often when people hook it up backwards, because that will fry it.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    My receiver is hooked up to the Power Inserter using a 6 ft long coax connection between it and the HR-24-100..
    It has been running for over a year without any problems.

Coax from dish to power inserter, coax from power inserter ( Signal to IRD ) to TV.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    My receiver is hooked up to the Power Inserter using a 6 ft long coax connection between it and the HR-24-100..
    It has been running for over a year without any problems.

Coax from dish to power inserter, coax from power inserter ( Signal to IRD ) to TV.

Yup. For many it will work just fine. Sometimes though, having a short length of coax from the PI to the receiver seems to cause problems.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

12. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I think that happens when you have whole home service and the two way traffic thru that port does not work well or at all .

13. jgrif69607

jgrif69607 New Member

Aug 5, 2013
    suwanee ga
    Based on the good advice I've received from this forum, I've connected the second receiver to the Power Inserter using a 15 foot coax cable. Receiver powered up with no problem and is working fine- thanks to all for your assistance.

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No problem.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app