1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

adding receiver

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by christrost, Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christrost

christrost New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I have a dp500 twin lnb and two receivers- a 501 and 301. I want to hook-up two more receivers. I thought I could do this using a dp34 multiswitch. When I run a checkswitch no connections show up. All 'x's. It does recognize the swith as a dp34. Should this work?

2. Larry the satellite guy

Larry the satellite guy Cool Member

Mar 26, 2007
    as long as you are using a DP TWIN LNB,your dp 3/4 switch should work fine.just run 1 wire from each port to the switch.if you have a legacy or a dp plus lnb,your gonna have problems

3. christrost

christrost New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    I do have a dp twin and dp receivers (301 and 501). After I connect the switch, I go to the 501 receiver and run a check switch. It cycles through three tests and then the screen comes back showing three possible connections but all show 'x's. Is there anything else I need to do to get this to work? Is there any way to determine if the switch is bad. I've tried two different switches and get the same result. I bought 2 additional receivers on e-bay. I haven't tried to install them since I can't get my current receivers to work with the switch. The switch I am using is a dp34. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Is your dish aligned correctly? Level out the mast/post, double check the azimith, elevation and skew settings. Apparently the lines are good since the rcvrs do see the DP34 switch, and its probably not the switch, since you've tried two different ones. I'd focus on the dish and it's settings. If that doesn't resolve your problems, check the connections between the DP34 and the LNB. If all is well, the culprit is the LNB. :icon_cool

5. christrost

christrost New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Thanks for the reply. When I have it set up without the dp34 switch- each of the two lines from the dish to a receiver, it works (i.e. the normal twin set-up). Does that rule out problems witht the alignment of the dish or problems with the lnb?

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you have a DP Twin that is getting signal in the area of 100% with out the DP 34 but won't work through the DP 34 suspect a bad DP34.:)

7. christrost

christrost New Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Thanks. I guess you can't trust what you get on e-bay. I am going to get another switch.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Stay away from Microyal switches.:)

9. jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Most people forget that verifying with Dish that a rcvr and smart card number are clear to be transferred to a new user doesn't help when there are operational issues with the rcvr. Same goes for defective LNB's and switches that are sold on Ebay. Buyer beware!!! :icon_cool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.