1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding Recievers, What switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by drb, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011 #1 of 10
    drb

drb New Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I just had a new dish instalation. I have the swlm with [1] line comming off the dish to a 4-way splitter with a power inserter. I have [2] H25 and [1] HR24 dvr. The fourth line is used for whole house dvr [internet]. I want to add a H25 or maybe another DVR. What splitter/ switch do I need and where to I put it.

Thanks
    DRB

2. Nov 1, 2011 #2 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like you simply need to add a green labeled 2-way splitter to what you have.
    If you have "short & long" coax runs, I'd connect it to the short one.

Maybe something like this:

[​IMG]

3. Nov 1, 2011 #3 of 10
    drb

drb New Member

Oct 16, 2011
    So off the 2-way splitter I can run a dvr or a single tuner reciecver? If I got this right I can run [8] tuners off the single cable from my dish? Also, does any of the coax leading to broadband DECA count agaisnt my tuner total? I have to go home and look at my set-up more carefully, I didn't think the PI ran back to my H25.

Thanks DRB

4. Nov 1, 2011 #4 of 10
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The whole idea of splitters is that all the signals pass through them, so at any point you can connect as may tuners as you have free "channels" from the SWiM.
    DECA has nothing to do with the SWiM, so you can have as many [up to 16] as you need. You need SWiM for DECA only to free up the band that it uses.

5. Nov 5, 2011 #5 of 10
    o0nephsbirth0o

o0nephsbirth0o Cool Member

Nov 5, 2011
    basically this is how it rolls...depending on where you want the new reciever and what your willing to do is what generates what you would need as far as equipment...

In the same room as the BBD or adjacent room of another reciever?
    -a 2-way swim splitter (where to find them other then a DTV guy...no clue sorry -_-)
    -whatever length of RG-6 cable (rated from 2mhz-2100mhz)
    -perferably compression connectors

In another room entirely too far from any current reciever or BBD you have?
    -an 8-way swim switch outside (to replace the 4-way...make sure if you do this option, the cable that goes in the red slot stays in the red slot...paramount step!)
    -cable to go from room to outside to junction

6. Nov 5, 2011 #6 of 10
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not sure if this is a typo or what but a splitter is not a switch, and a switch is not a splitter. :nono:

7. Nov 6, 2011 #7 of 10
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Correct.
    DECA does not count as a tuner, so does not count against the 8 tuner total.

And just to be clear, don't confuse veryoldschool's comment about "up to 16" with tuners. An SWM LNB can support 8 tuners. A DVR has 2 tuners, a non-DVR receiver has 1 tuner. So you can mix and match as desired as long as you don't exceed 8 tuners. It is also possible to set a DVR to only use 1 tuner, but then you lose any capability associated with having a second tuner.

8. Nov 9, 2011 #8 of 10
    o0nephsbirth0o

o0nephsbirth0o Cool Member

Nov 5, 2011
    my bad yeah i meant splitter...not switch...i do that more often then i care too...really really bad habit :(

9. DarkLogix

DarkLogix Godfather

Oct 20, 2011
    Just to help clerify

Deca has a Max of 16 nodes (maybe they'll change that someday, doubtful)
    SWM has a Max of 8 Tuners per SWM

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    More accurately, all current SWiM multiswitches can "support" up to eight satellite tuners each.