1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Additional receiver--what are my options?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by row25, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1 of 13
    row25

row25 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I'm currently halfway through my 2 year contract with DirecTV. We are thinking about adding a TV in our loft. I called D* and they want $99 for an additional receiver plus $49 installation, and $49 upgrade fee. I don't mind paying for the receiver but they won't budge on the fees. Are there any other options out there for me? Buy an owned receiver? Share a receiver between two rooms somehow?

2. Mar 6, 2013 #2 of 13
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, if you just need the receiver, you can get an H25 (leased) from SolidSignal for $99. Of course, you'd have to install it yourself. Do you have the lines already run to that location? If not, can you run them? How many tuners are you currently using? Do you have room for more?

3. Mar 6, 2013 #3 of 13
    row25

row25 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I currently have 3 H25s and 1 HR34. There are lines already run to that room; however I have no idea if our current setup can accommodate another receiver. How can I tell? I don't know much about equipment and how to install it, but I'm sure I can find a buddy who can do it for me.

If I get the receiver from SolidSignal, will that extend my contract once I add it to our account?

4. Mar 6, 2013 #4 of 13
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you do not have 4 lines coming from the dish to a SWM16 multiswitch, you need your LNB and multiswitch upgraded to add an additional port.

5. Mar 7, 2013 #5 of 13
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    yes.

6. Mar 7, 2013 #6 of 13
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    That's probably the problem. You are currently using 8 tuners (one for each of the H25's and 5 for the HR34). In all likelihood, you were given a SWM dish, which has 1 line coming from the dish, which can then be split up to 8 ways (accommodating a maximum of 8 tuners). So, your current dish setup is likely maxed out.

If that assumption is correct, in order to have more than 8 tuners, you will need a new LNB, which will have 4 lines coming from it, on your dish and a SWM-16 multiswitch added to your system. This combination will allow for up to 16 tuners in your house.

Even if you get a good deal from ebay, you will likely pay about $90 to buy a new LNB, a SWM-16. Then you will need to buy new cable to run (since you now will need 4 lines coming from the dish to the SWM-16).

DirecTV's $98 charge for upgrade and installation will save you both time and money over a DIY project.

7. Mar 7, 2013 #7 of 13
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    You could consider adding a C31 RVU client. It will work with your current LNB setup since it doesn't increase the tuner count (it uses one of the HR34's tuners).

8. Mar 7, 2013 #8 of 13
    row25

row25 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I think I will go the C31 route. How complicated will it be adding one of those to our setup? I also read rumors about using a PS3 as an RVU client. If that'll become reality sometime this year, I may just wait. Any chance directv will have an app on the Roku just like TWC?

9. Mar 7, 2013 #9 of 13
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Adding a C31 would be pretty simple. Just need a coax cable from the TV location back to your DirecTV coax network and hook it in. Then an HDMI cable from it to the TV.

From what I read Sony talked about adding RVU to the Playstation at CES. Now I'm not 100% sure if they meant the PS3 or if they were talking about the upcoming PS4. If they did mean the PS3 I don't think anyone has a timeline on when it might happen.

Also, since it sounds like you maybe haven't even bought the TV yet, you could think about getting one of the Samsung TVs that already have RVU built into them and working right now. Then you would just need an ethernet line at the TV location, or a coax line hooked up to your DirecTV network and a DECA adapter with power supply.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    You already said that you have a coax line run to the room where you would be putting the C31. Where does that line originate?

If it originates at the splitter where the other lines are connected, you would just need to connect that line to the splitter. If all of the outputs of the splitter are being used, you can either replace the 4-way splitter with an 8-way splitter ($17 at solid signal, cheaper on ebay) or split one of the existing outputs of the 4-way splitter in two, using a 2-way splitter ($6 at Solid Signal).

If the coax originates somewhere else, you need to either get it to the location of the existing splitter or to the location of one of the other receivers/dvr's and add a 2-way splitter there.

11. row25

row25 Cool Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks for the help everyone, I'm totally new to this stuff. The line originates where the rest of the lines are (newly built house). Looks like C31 is the best option at this moment.

12. cavinny

cavinny Cool Member

Sep 5, 2007
    How do you configure the playstation 3 to work with the directv genie? I read that rvu was coming to PS3

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    You don't. Its not available yet!