1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe PDF reader hangs

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Strong, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Strong

Strong Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 30, 2003
    All of a sudden, the PDF reader on my laptop just stopped working. I'm running Win 2000 Pro on an IBM Thinkpad. I did a google search and others are reporting the same thing on different operating systems and versions of the reader! Its even now on the Adobe user forum itself, but there doesn't seem to be a consistent fix. Even unloading/reloading is not fixing it.

It won't even open if I try to open it from outside a browser. No messages, no nothing. If I try to open it from a browser file, it just hangs. No message no nothing and I have to use task manager to kill the window.

I did get a few 'updates available' messages the last few days, but I was lazy and hit 'update later'. I figured if it wasn't broke, don't fix it, but darn!

Its still working on my desktop, so its really weird.

2. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Delete all files in your c:\winnt\temp directory. Make sure to delete all subdirectories in your temp directory.

3. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Adobe added a lot of stuff to version 6.x of the reader, much of which the average user can do without. All that stuff has caused a great deal of problems with lots of peoples systems. If you have or can find the last 5.x version of the reader, I would suggest uninstalling the current one and installing the 5.x version. For the vast majority of PDF reading, the 5.x version is more than sufficient and is far more stable than the 6.x releases.

4. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I had the same problem, and it was caused by that &*^$# "updates available" window somehow staying below all other windows. Adobe "froze", but it was actually just waiting for a reply to the question I couldn't see. Once I finally got the &^*&%$# update installed, I stopped having the problem. So far.

One of my pet peeves is the growing practice of dumping info to PDF instead of taking the time to convert it to clean HTML. I've seen charts that would be simple HTML tables, but instead I have to wait half a minute for %^&% Reader to load.

&*(^#$^^*&^$&#%#(*% Adobe Reader!!!!

(deep breath) Sorry, I feel better now.

5. bills976

bills976 Godfather/Supporter

Jun 30, 2002
    I've had several problems with Adobe Acrobat, including freezing, incorrect displays, etc. Instead, I've been using GhostScript, which reads .pdf and .ps files, and is much less of a CPU hog than Acrobat. Google GhostScript and you'll find it.

6. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    The temp files is a big issue. I had to contact my Help Desk for it and that was the first thing they had me do to clear it out.