DBSTalk Forum banner

adt for your home?

949 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Ken S 
#1 ·
i want to put adt in my house just door sensors and the keypad thing, if i can buy the parts off ebay and do it my self that would be great. what parts will i need. i just want it when someone opens the door a big siren will go off, maybe the same for a few windows.

#2 ·
I just went through putting in an alarm and I can give a few tips.

I would look into a local security company. You can find ones that have much cheaper monitoring than the big names like ADT/Brinks/etc.

Also the alarm system world is very closed doors still. Somehow the industry has kept info private and they pride themselves on that but it makes it very tough for motivated people to go the DIY route. (it is also so they can charge a lot for fairly simple equipment, the markup is insane) It really bugs me as a lot of the alarm system technology is very dated and simplistic compared to what they could be making for the same price today, but in any event there is no other option.

The main parts of a system are the monitoring service and the system in your house. Monitoring services will be a monthly cost (some are prepaid for a set amount of time) and many times will only work with certain systems. Also a lot of companies require you to have them install it.

There are a few places on the internet that sell monitoring service and it is cheap compared to the big names as well. One I have heard of:
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/

Overall I would look into some local dealers and see what they can offer. Be aware that many are pretty old school as is a lot of the equipment compared to what we are used to from the digital age in the last few years.

#4 ·
Alarm installs work like cell phones and satellite service – they “give” you hundreds of dollars of equipment and installation up front in return for some number of months of commitment to the monitoring service. I had an alarm system installed that cost me around $600 in up-front extras plus $30/mo x 36 months in ADT monitoring. After the commitment was up, I switched to Watchlight Alarm (found them through Smarthome) and now I pay about $10/mo (paid a year in advance). I’ve been with them for about four years now and they have been great. In fact, they were so good, they were able to actually step my wife through reprogramming the system to change from dialing ADT to dialing them (I was out of town the week they scheduled the switchover). I’ve recommended several friends (they pay a $25 finder’s fee) and they are all happy, too. If you are comfortable with a self-install, then go for it and then contract with someone like Watchlight. Skip the “big name” guys as the best they will do is about $19/mo.

#7 ·
rudeney said:
Alarm installs work like cell phones and satellite service - they "give" you hundreds of dollars of equipment and installation up front in return for some number of months of commitment to the monitoring service. I had an alarm system installed that cost me around $600 in up-front extras plus $30/mo x 36 months in ADT monitoring.
This is why I recommend looking into local/regional providers. I paid around $750 for all equipment installed and 3 years of monitoring included. All good quality equipment as well (DSC who is a very large manufacture and makes stuff for ADT/Brinks as well).

If you want all the other monitoring services and such places like Brinks and ADT are decent, but for simple Fire/Alarm setup many times local is the way to go.

#8 ·
Yep, we got a DSC system from our original ADT install. Our big cost was in wireless stuff – several doors and windows plus two wireless “fob” transmitters and an LED indicator so we can arm/disarm from the car from the driveway. I also added an X10 interface to turn on all the lights when the system is tripped. My MIL went with a local company and they did a great job, but the cost was about what we paid for ADT with all the “extras” and her install was nowhere near as complex as her house was pre-wied. She did get wireless fobs, though.

#9 ·
If you got with ADT, Brinks, etc be very careful of their contract. Some will make it a five year term that auto renews for five more years. Also, while locking you in they'll have the right to raise prices. You don't have to agree to this. There are plenty of smaller providers that will offer better service, pricing and a negotiated contract.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.