1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adult novelty bust - Only in Texas (or Saudi Arabia or Iran)

Discussion in 'The OT' started by John Corn, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Unbelievable.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2298150

Woman's arrest brings Texas obscenity law into question
    Associated Press

CLEBURNE -- Joanne Webb intended to spice up marriages and earn extra cash by selling erotic toys as one of Passion Parties Inc.'s 3,000 national consultants.

Instead, the former fifth-grade teacher and executive board member of the Burleson Chamber of Commerce faces criminal charges and embarrassment after a police sting. Her first court appearance was set for today.

"My mouth did drop open," said Webb, 43, who has been married 20 years and has three children. "It's ludicrous to think that the government can step into our bedrooms."

2. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    She broke the law so she must pay for her crimes. Does being married for 20 years and having 3 children give you a blank check on breaking state law? No way!
    Ingnorance is no excuse.

I see you're like the media in posting only one side in your qoutes.

"Webb's charge is a misdemeanor; she faces up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine. An obscenity charge is a felony if someone sells obscene devices or materials at wholesale."

""It's ludicrous to think that the government can step into our bedrooms.""

The standard cop-out line! :rolleyes:

3. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    This is a crime?!?!?!?!

The south is just like the middle east. Full of warm hospitable people with a tendency for ludicrous religious fanaticism. :D

She could probably sell loaded guns out of her house but try selling the seven-inch Gemini with magic vibro-bead action and they slap the cuffs on her. :nono2:

Are they going to put her in the same cell as notorious criminal Tommy Chong?
    Now it will go to court and get tossed and nobody else will be bothered.
    I just hope she's been paying her taxes on the income.

4. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Firearms are legal under Texas law and the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution so you’re comparing apples to oranges. The devices that she is selling is neither protected by the Constitution or Texas law so you don’t have much of a leg to stand on in that regard.

Tommy Chong should be set free and is not a criminal IMO. I bet she didn't pay taxes but that's only an assumption.

5. Jack White

Jack White Icon

Sep 17, 2002
    You're right, that kind of stuff wouldn't even happen in a more liberal moslem country like Turkey.
    I guess Oil ain't the only thing that makes Texas like Saudi Arabia.

6. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Firearms are legal under Texas law and the 2nd Amendment of the Constitution so you’re comparing apples to oranges.

Thats precisely the point he was trying to make! One device is perfectly legal and protected, and its NOT the one designed to give pleasure.

She broke the law so she must pay for her crimes

So are you of the opinion that ALL laws are just and need to be enforced to the fullest extent of the law?

7. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    Danny wrote:

"Thats precisely the point he was trying to make! One device is perfectly legal and protected, and its NOT the one designed to give pleasure."

Then I guess you never had the pleasure of popping pennies with a .22 Browning Buckmark?

8. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Considering the obscurity/ridiculousness of many laws in many parts of the world (and yes, even in the United States of America), could it not be possible that she had absolutley no idea that selling sex toys was illegal in Texas? Why would she think that it would be illegal to sell them?

Furthermore, when she registered her business, she would have (obviously) had to state what type of business it was -- no? (Not that I ever have registered a business, but I'm sure that information would have to be supplied prior to registering it...)

This was clearly not a case of her deliberately breaking the law. If she was unaware of this law, she should have been informed of it when she registered the business. The government, or whatever agency deals with these issues failed to inform her. How can she be held liable for breaking a ridiculous law (that will probably be overturned as a result of this case), which she did not even know existed?

9. invaliduser88

invaliduser88 Welcome to Torchwood DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    Do I feel safer because someone selling a sex toy has been arrested? No.

Do I feel like my tax dollars spent on the man power and resources were well spent? No.

Why should I care whether that neighbors next door want to spice their sex life up a bit? It's their life, no mine. It's not a threat to me, my family or the community.

10. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    It is "officially" against the law in many states but those laws are extremely selectively enforced and increasingly liberal judges, even supposedly conservative ones(liberal by comparison with 1950 for instance), are loathe to bother. There's an old maxim as it were that laws which are selectively enforced aren't laws but whim and have no weight of law properly behind them. It's just that no one in the legislature has the cajones to explicitly unload the lawbooks of these nonsensical things as their opponents would tar and feather them with all sorts of silly claims of being friendly to perverts. So they aren't enforced unless the target is up for persecution locally or it is an election year.

For instance, The Zebra Club in Norwalk, CT had always done a thriving business with full nude dancers, forgoing the state liquor permit and sales in accordance with the state's idiot blue laws. There were regular two and three girl shows on stage, full contact, and the best lapdances anywhere. You couldn't touch the girls and were well advised to sit on your hands, but they might well give your face a buff and shine with their privates.

An election year came up and all of a sudden, they were public enemy number one. The place was raided, property destroyed in searches that were known beforehand to be pointless, and the whole thing played up. They'd always paid good taxes to the city and been a good business neighbor on good terms but when the cameras rolled, they were suddenly a den of perversion.

Sex toys are sold in large amounts in Texas. The state has a huge population of people boinking away madly in fringe sexual fetishes. You cannot fail to bump into them online if you delve into sexual areas. The state merely decided to be capricious and is going to look very foolish in the court of public opinion nationwide. This being Texas, they won't get the idea and drop it but rather arrogantly continue most likely the way they always do. Texas just has to be a nation all its own...

I don't know how Texas does it but CT doesn't require you to tell them anything regarding your business. You need not register locally. You need only get a sales tax license. They don't really care what you're doing as long as you charge the correct sales and use taxes and send the money to them. What is the correct tax and when is up to you to find out and get right.

First, ignorance is no excuse anywhere. Second, innocence itself is no excuse in Texas.

As I said above, Texas thinks itself another nation altogether the way Greenwich, CT thinks itself Greenwich, NY or Newbury Street in Boston seems to think itself Newbury, MA. If the entire nation shunned capital punishment tomorrow, Texas would feel obligated to publicly hang jaywalkers in groups of twenty. If all the rest were committed to something else, Texas has to take a contrary view and course. They're to the USA as France is to the rest of Europe but with a southern twang to their snottiness. Individually as folksy and friendly as you can find and some of my best friends live there, but in the composite there's this weird Texas frame of mind that seems to stop at the border.

I'll probably get some flames from Texans for it, but I don't get good reviews for my opinion on Greenwich either. But cheer up! If the choice were mine, I'd keep Texas and let Greenwich secede. :lol:

11. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    John wrote:

"could it not be possible that she had absolutley no idea that selling sex toys was illegal in Texas?"

What makes me ill is that this pervert use to be a 5th grade teacher. Ingnorance is no excuse.

12. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Roger, please don't take this as an insult, but if you were to apply to teach in our schools in Hudson NH, I would vigorously oppose your being hired based on your beliefs and what I would NOT want you spreading to children. You have no qualms about loudly proclaiming your beliefs - which is your right no matter how much I may disagree with them. However, this woman was selling to *adults* and whether you know it or not, *adults* enjoy this kind of activity. I do not believe that yo0u, sir, would be able to keep your fantasy bible-based vitriol from the minds of impressionable children.

I have no trouble believing that you most likey view over 200 million people as perverts. Do you have some problem with the ideas of teachers having sex in their private lives? Never mind the fact that she was a FORMER 5th grade teacher.

13. invaliduser88

Apr 23, 2002
    From my experience growing up in North East Texas, there are plenty of ultra-conservative people there that think anything concerning sex is evil and should be against the law.

Oh, yeah, many of these same people can be found Friday & Saturday night in the next county which isn't dry (alcohol sales prohibited). After all, they can always pray for forgiveness on Sunday.

14. bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    "From my experience growing up in North East Texas, there are plenty of ultra-conservative people there that think anything concerning sex is evil and should be against the law."

Yea, but somehow they still have children. Maybe they figure out another way.

15. Roger

Roger Banned User

Aug 7, 2002
    djlong:

"Roger, please don't take this as an insult, but if you were to apply to teach in our schools in Hudson NH, I would vigorously oppose your being hired based on your beliefs and what I would NOT want you spreading to children."

So you'd rather have them brainwashed with evolution where we're no different than animals and taught that they're a decedents of a monkey or ape? And that they’d be taught there are no moral absolutes like stealing is wrong and everything is gray?

"I do not believe that yo0u, sir, would be able to keep your fantasy bible-based vitriol from the minds of impressionable children."

And how would I differ from the morons who teach the fantasy of evolution or the lie that we're a democracy instead of A Federal Republic? Not to mention every crazy scheme dreamed up since the 60’s. Your children would leave my classroom educated and able to fend for themselves unlike the morons that coming of the government training center assembly lines. No new math will be taught in my class.

Back to your children and the current crap... Billions and trillions of years ago you were nothing but a bacteria in a pool of water that came from Mars..... :rolleyes:

16. invaliduser88

Apr 23, 2002
    Do as I say, not as I do!!! :p

17. texas39

texas39 Legend

Nov 10, 2003
    with this misdemeanor, she probably had a minimum bail set at $1500 (thats the lowest in Texas now) so she would have to pay a Bail bond of $300

AND even if/when the case is dropped or she is found NOT guilty, She will Never get her bail money back from the bondsman ya know

18. rodb

rodb AllStar

Dec 5, 2003
    "What makes me ill is that this pervert use to be a 5th grade teacher"

This is the root of Roger's argument.

19. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    And you know what's worse. Every one of the folks who use these toys once was a 5th grade child as well! :eek2:

So you'd rather have them brainwashed with evolution

Yes, our schools are fully geared toward brainwashing children about evolution... riiiiigggghhhht! :nono2:

Its a rare school system that does anything more than skim over any topic even remotely touching evolution. Most educators are scared silly to even touch the topic, and those that want to are often teaching it poorly because they don't want to be seen as partisan on the issue. In general todays kids are far less knowlegeable about evolution than their parents were, thanks to the religious right and neo-creationists mucking around our school systems. :mad:

The strange twists of logic creationists must bend always astounds me. My college roommate was thoroughly perplexed that incest must have been ok back in the day, but is improper now, because obviously Adam and Eve's kids must have gotten it on with each other. :lol: And the logical twists go on and on as they try and explain simple phenomenon found in nature in order to meet their viewpoint. Yes, its the evolutionists that are obviously brainwashed here.

Strange thing... we have a nice system of refuting evolution in place called the scientific method that has worked wonders for the rest of science. Evolutionists are more than willing to substitute their theory if you can provide a better one that meets those simple guidelines.

20. texas39

texas39 Legend

Nov 10, 2003

whats worse is I dont know where the girl is in your Avatar so I can use a Sex toy on her ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.