1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advanced Remote Setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kevinturcotte, Feb 11, 2012.

1. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte Active Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Everything's FINALLY installed. Question about the remote though. It's an RC65RX. I want it to turn my Tv (LG) on and off, and it's doing that. However, I want the volume control and the mute button to control my A/V Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR5007). How do I get it to do this? I mean, I can program it for the Onkyo, but the volume continues to control the Tv.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You'll need to select the AV position for the Onkyo and the mute/select [blink blink] 993, select.

3. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Okay, that worked. Thanks VOS!!! Now is there anyway to have the Tv Input button on the remote tell the Onkyo receiver to switch to input 1 (Directv)?

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "If you ever" find out how, please let me know. :lol:

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    With the new GUI came a way to lock in a particular sound source, for instance the Onkyo receiver, so that only that source is used by the remote for sound. You have to go into the Advanced section of the Remote Setup screen to access it. Took me several tries to get it right, but it is working now.

Rich

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Just reread the posts and I "think" I just posted how to do that.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    OK, just read thru the posts and I think I can get you to where you want to be. First, you have to go to Program Remote. Then you'll be prompted to enter the name and model of the Onkyo and then follow the steps on the HR. Don't put the remote in any other position but D*. Once you complete that, do the TV. Then enter the Advanced page and you should see an option to lock the sound system to a device. You should see TV and Onkyo to the left of the screen with a radio button next to each. Select Onkyo and hit the radio button and, with any luck, the remote should control the Onkyo and not the TV sound.

I had to do this several times to get my Sammy sound system to lock, but it finally did.

Rich

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I had no luck trying to setup my Sony AVR that way. Maybe newer/other models will work.

9. bigtom

bigtom Legend

Jan 23, 2009
    On my Denon AVR, I can select "sources" using some of the number keys when the mode switch is set to the AVR.

For example, Denon AVR on AV2, number key 4 is "Sat Source" for my HDDVR and number key 5 is "DVD Source" for my PS3.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    My Sammy sound system is one of those combo BD player/AVRs and it doesn't show up on the 500's list of models. This is the second time I've "married" the Sammy to a TV and HR and both times were different. This way was easier than the last way.

Rich

11. rakstr

rakstr Legend

Aug 23, 2007

Does your TV support CEC? I looked at your receiver manual and it says it does. No guarantee because CEC isn't as ubiquitous as it should be BUT, enabling CEC can bring joy to your life by not fooling at all with any remote tricks :) I've got a Denon 891 and my TV supports CEC (actually two pairs, one in the family room and one in the game room). One push of a button to power on the TV and both TV and AVR turn on (same for off). PLUS the volume controls the AVR. IF I turn the AVR off, the same push of the volume button controls the TV's speakers (they automatically mute/unmute based on the state of the AVR). The remote is programmed for the TV. NO KNOWLEDGE whatsoever of the AVR. That's taken care of by enabling CEC and using an HDMI cable between the devices.

12. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    It does, but the only thing that seems to work is when I turn the Tv OFF. Volume control, and turning the Tv ON doesn't do ANYTHING to the A/V receiver.

13. rakstr

rakstr Legend

Aug 23, 2007

Like I said, CEC can be frustrating. Try actually removing power (unplug) from both devices every time you "play" with the settings, replacing power to the TV first and waiting for any boot process to complete before reapplying power to the AVR. There are numerous layers of control for both power and volume. Unfortunately they are not "standardized" as to what they are called. Take some time with the manuals and look in avsforum.com for threads specific to your TV and/or receiver. You're in trial and error territory here but if you get it to work it's awesome!

I had numerous issues until I received a firmware update for my TV and all was well (in fact I think it what was wht YOU are seeing but volume control worked. TV was Vizio and I think they use LG glass for this model) See if you can find a firmware update. Also, I had an Onkyo with CEC and found their tech support to be very helpful. You may want to call, especially in the price range of your receiver :). Call LG too.

EDIT - Typically there is only one port in your selection of HDMI inputs on the TV that support all the feature and ARC. Look for one labeled ARC (Audio Return Channel) or try all ports. Jump to avsforum.com for this topic :) Best of luck

EDIT 2 - On the Vizio I've got CEC on, System Audio control ON, and device discovery shows my AVR-891. On the Denon it is simply HDMI Control ON. You've made me remember why I no longer have the Onkyo 508. After going through 2 of them, could never get the CEC to fully work. Exchanged for the Denon 891 and and the power control worked, volume control only worked for the AVR, and then the TV firmware update fixed the volume control for the TV.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    To get this to work in all modes just follow VOS's post earlier but after you hit 993 and it blinks twice hit select. If you hit the volume key it will select it only for av1 or whatever you chose to program in.

Now changing inputs is a little different you cannot use TV Input on any other device ever if you have programmed it to a TV. I don't think there's a way not to program it to a non TV on the TV option and have it use the source such as AVR.

If you program your remote and it has the codes for quick select you can change to that input option on the remote and push the button assigned to that input as a quick select. However it doesn't work with all receivers so good luck with that.

15. kevinturcotte

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    Directv really needs a learning remote! A keyboard remote, like Tivo has, would be great too!

16. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Buy a Haromny or a WMC. Creating a remote like this just adds expense to something that people already complain about. If they made something like this people would then expect these for everything and for free.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The new remote almost does that. If you'd follow my instructions, you'd see what I mean.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're steering Kevin in the wrong direction. I posted the right way to do it.

Rich