1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advantages of using a receiver in whole home setup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by LesHarrison, Jan 22, 2011.

1. LesHarrison

LesHarrison New Member

Oct 12, 2007
    I have two HR-21-700's in the basement. I send HDMI via cat6 to two TV's upstairs and I use remote ir to control the recorders from either TV. I am running whole home via ethernet and everthing is working fine.

The problems are:

1- Can't watch the local news when recording 4 shows at the same time unless we cancel one of the recordings.

2- When these recorders are busy recording two channels or getting ready to at the top of the hour, etc. things slow up considerably. Viewing is not affected during these periods but the remote interaction, getting the guide to show and such are slow to respond, but eventually work ok.

So my question is should I add a receiver to this setup and use that as the viewing source so the recorders can do whatever they need to do?

If I add a receiver, does the guide performance and other remote operatons improve over using just two recorders?

Can you tell a show to record on one receiver or the other from the receiver (select which recorder is to do the recording)?

Your guidance is appreciated.

Les

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    If you want to continue recording four things and watch the news you would need an additional receiver. It could be a stand alone H2x.

However, you would need a SWiM setup to get beyond four tuners and would probably be DECA.

Mike

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: when not using SWiM, a WB68 will give the option for 8 tuners.
    The H20 can't be used for the added receiver, but H21-24 can and will need to have ethernet with the OP's current setup.

4. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Les, if you add a HD receiver like Mike mentioned you would be able to hit the record button on the remote and a screen will pop up asking which DVR you want to record to. This is one of the advantages of a Non-DVR. (assuming you have WHDVR)

I have a H24 and it is very fast scrolling through the guide and the list. I think you would bre pleased with a setup with two dvr's and a standalone HD receiver.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I'd say all receivers scroll faster than DVRs do.

6. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I meant to add a line about the WB68 but got side tracked and just hit submit. :grin:

I forgot about the H20 though.

Mike

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think most want to also. :lol: