1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a 921 newbie?

Discussion in 'Other HD Receiver Support Forum (811, 921, 942)' started by mrtaber, Apr 4, 2005.

1. mrtaber

mrtaber New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    I've had good days and bad days with my 921 (installed last Tuesday)...mostly good. The bad--my first recording ended up a ZSR; then there was the day that required 4 reboots (2 hard reboots); and real spotty OTA (my installer is looking at this).

However, a lot of you people have had the 921 a lot longer, and I notice you talk about standby mode (I assume this is switching the power off while leaving it plugged in), and a daily reboot. Could someone elucidate?

It seems that 3 out of 4 mornings, if I leave the 921 on all night (to record programming), it is frozen in the morning, requiring--you guessed it--a reboot. Now, as a programmer and Linux user, this doesn't freak me out; I do find it odd to have to take such things as probable memory leaks and the like into account for what amounts to a piece of consumer hardware.

Any other tips, tricks I should know about? And I understand many of you are probably sick to death of topics like this...just gently tap me with the clue stick (or, better yet, leave a trail of crumbs to the appropriate thread), so any help is appreciated.

Currently, the machine does seem stable--well, I did have to reboot today. The picture is excellent however, and I am enjoying it.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark :)

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Hey Mark,

First, standby mode = "turned off with remote". Put your 921 into standby mode each night. If you routinely record events during the night, reboot your 921 once a week or so by pressing and holding the power button for ~5 seconds, or by pulling the power cord.

Lots and lots of topics and tricks that could be told. Your best bet is to do some reading. There's a whole ton of good information posted here. Once you do some reading, if you have specific questions, I'm (and most of the "old-timers") are good at answering those.

3. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Welcome to DBSTalk!! Mark L.'s advice is spot on. I've owned my 921 for about 11 months now and enjoy it, but our family is not the most demanding consumers. (We watch a lot, record probably a half dozen shows a week at most). DBS Talk is loaded with helpful advice and if you take the time to read it and then ask your questions, you'll almost always get helpful replies.

Good luck.

John

4. lapplegate

lapplegate Legend

Jan 17, 2003
    mrtaber,

Welcome.

As stated above there is a lot of good help here, it just takes while to get it all in. The search feature is very helpful.

One thing I did was to get one of those "plug into your outlet" timers. I plugged the 921 into it and set the timer to go off during the night and turn back on 30 minutes later. This daily power boot has helped a great deal and I don't see a lot of the problems other see.

Another trick is that if you have an OTA HD show and a SD show you want to see, if possible watch the OTA HD and record the SD. The SD shows seem to record better.

Good Luck,
    Larry