1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Advice for External Hard Drive HR20-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by Foghorn, May 16, 2009.

1. Foghorn

Foghorn Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    I am looking at buying a external hard drive for my HR20-700 DVR and wanted advice on which ones are the best to get. I want a least 1TB.

Which ones are working the best with the least amount of trouble? And which ones to stay away from. If I am going to do this I want the best so I wont have to deal with a angry wife if it breaks down and erases her shows. Also if anyone knows of a good deal that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help,

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. Foghorn

Foghorn Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    Is that a better way to go instead of getting one already put together?

Anyone have a External that hasn't had any problems? If so how long have you used it.

4. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    +1

No problems at all

5. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    Please search the forums for "Recommended esata". You will find a plethora of advice.

If you don't want to build one with an Antec mx-1 I suggest you look at http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=155615

6. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
    I agree with the antec MX-1 and a WD GP drive. If you own a screwdriver, you can put it together.

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm with Litzdog911.

I'm a big fan of the MX-1. :)

There's a lot of good info in the supplied link. It should have everything you need but a simple search might find info about specific drive models.

Mike

8. geaux tigers

geaux tigers Icon

Nov 10, 2005
    ST31000SCA109-RK http://www.seagate.com/showcase $164.99

I just installed an ESATA Seagate Showcase 1 TB drive on my HR20-700. I ordered the drive directly from Seagate as I could not find it available anywhere else. The setup was a breeze as I simply unplugged my HR20 and attached the drive using the ESATA cable. I then plugged the ESATA drive in and then plugged the HR20 back in. The HR20 then formatted the drive and I was ready to go. I then reset my settings on the HR20 such as the ability to play 1080p and a few other settings.

So far I really like the Seagate as it is whisper quiet. It also has a power switch on the back that includes a dimmer switch for the front LED. I put the switch in the dimmer mode and the light is barely noticeable with the lights off. The light is blue and matches the HR20. The box is silver and is attractive. The Seagate can be used either vertically or horizontally. I am using the drive vertically using the vertical stand that came with the drive. The drive also comes with a short ESATA cable.

9. Foghorn

Foghorn Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
  10. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    looks good

11. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
  12. Foghorn

Foghorn Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
  13. DanoP

DanoP Legend

Sep 28, 2006
    That's what I use.....ordered mine through Newegg with the MX-1. This is a very worthwhile upgrade. I'm much more conscious of space usage on my second DVR which has the standard internal drive. But since I use it less, I've not considered it for an add-on HD. BTW, installing the HD into the MX-1 is very simple.

14. Foghorn

Foghorn Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    I finally got my external hard drive for my HR20-700. I went with the Antec MX-1 Enclosure with a WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drive. It was very easy to put together. I do have one question or problem, I can hear a clicking noise when the hard drive is running, is that normal? I opened it back up a loosened the 4 screws that I connected the hard drive to the fan and I still hear the clicking noise. Any Suggestions?

Also I still have some things to watch on the internal drive, do I just unplug the HR20-700 and turn off the external and then plug the DVR back in and it will run the internal again?

15. Foghorn

Foghorn Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    Wow, no one will respond.

16. dave29

dave29 DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 18, 2007
    Is the clicking coming from the HDD or the fan?

If you are not sure, take the cover off and see if you can find out, and disconnect the fan to rule it out.

17. Maui

Maui Legend

Feb 16, 2009
    Esata Seagate 1 TB here. It's worked great for several months. As soon you plug it in the receiver will recognise it and start using it.

18. Foghorn

Foghorn Mentor

Sep 28, 2006
    How do you unplug the fan, sorry if this is a stupid question.