1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for out building

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by blentz, Mar 20, 2011.

1. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    I have a swm 16 that feeds 2 8 way splitters that are right next to the SWM1 6.

The SWM16 is about 30ft away from the dish.

I have an out building that i want to get 4 recievers set up in. The out building is about 100' away from the SWM16 and the 2 8 way splitters. Inside the out building i would need to extend 2 of the lines approx 20 more feet to the final destination. The other two lines would be extended about another 30 ft. to the final destination.

My question is, should i run 4 home runs back to the 8 way splitter or run home run to the building and then split 4 ways from the building entry point to each reciever?

Thoughts?

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Unless you need MRV, I would put up another dish.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    This seems doable.
    Take one of the SWiM-16 outputs [no splitter] and run a coax to the out building. There use a 4-way splitter to feed your receivers.

4. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    I thought about putting up another dish and that is very dooable.
    However, i'd like to better understand my limits first.

In the main house, i need 9 recievers (yes, a big house w/ lots of kids).
    Some at least 2 of these recievers will require 2 drops for recording so thats a total of 11.

I guess i could use a 2 way splitter on the 2 DVRs for dual tuners that would take be back to 9.

I don't understand the limts of swm splitting and signal loss and cable lengths.

I could drive an 8 way splitter and a 2 way splitter of the swm16. Run one of the feeds off the 2way over to the out building and then split it 4 ways from there.

5. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    1st you have waaay to many recievers :lol:

problably your best bet would be to attach a SWM8 to the SWM16 pass-thru ports and run that line to second building..

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Your SWiM-16 has two outputs. Each handles 8 tuners and would be like the dish here:

[​IMG]

These are close to the max lengths/splitter losses, but are within working limits.

7. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    with 11 tuners in house he's pretty much maxed out anyways.. time for next dish/SWM..

8. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    ok - so if i understand your diagram correctly,
    off of an 8 way splitter, you could run 100' drops. If they were less than 100', then one might be able to split again 2 ways so if the drop was 75 feet, you could put a 2 way on the end of that and split a very short distance on each leg.

Correct?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Let me ask why use an 8-way to feed your out building?

Maybe what would be more helpful would be for you to do a layout of what you have and how long the coax runs are to each. I could then get a much better idea of what you're trying to do and then suggest the best option.

10. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    After viewing your diagram, i wouldn't use an 8 way for the out building.
    I would go from SWM16 to 2 way, then run a drop over to out building and split 4 ways there.

The 2nd drop off the 2 way would then feed a 4 way splitter.
    That 4 way along w/ the 2nd 8 way would give me 12 drops in the main house.

In the main house, the longest run is about 80 ft to the master br. There i would split 2 way for DVR.

The rest of the main house drops are all 75ft or less. The only other tuner that needs 2 drops is the great room entertainment where there is another DVR.

Am i thinking about this right?

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    You do know that you DO NOT need to split again at each DVR on a SWiM system right?

Let's step back a bit. How many and what type of receivers will you have in the main house and the outbuilding.

12. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    See, i don't have a full grasp of the new technology as i didn't realize you don't need two drops at the DVR to record and watch different stuff - how does that work now with the DVR still having 2 tunners?

Here is a list of my current tunners:

Main House

Great Room HR22-100
    Master Bed HR22-100
    Kitchen H21-200
    Rec Room H21-100
    Office H21-100
    Kids H21-100
    Guest Room H21-100
    Exercise Room H21-100

Future Main House
    Pool
    Bedroom 1
    Bedroom 2

Future Out Building (2 one bedroom aprtments)

Apt 1 - Living Room
    Apt 1 - Bedroom

Apt 2 - Living Room
    Apt 2 - Bedroom

13. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I hope you're not suggesting that Apt. 1 and Apt. 2 are sharing the same account. This would violate the terms and conditions with DIRECTV.

14. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    The out building is actually a guest house - not for-rent apts :)

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Lets first go through how the SWiM works:
    The receiver sends a request for which channel it wants. The SWiM tunes to it and converts it to another frequency and tells the receiver where the channel is.
    Each tuner [not receiver] gets one frequency, so these eight can be all on the same coax. This is why splitters can be used instead of switches like before.

Each output of the SWiM-16 can only handle eight tuners.
    The DVR splits the SAT #1 to feed both tuners and since each is using a separate frequency there isn't a problem.

There is much more to the SWiM, so this is why knowing all the hardware and lengths of coax to each would be helpful to come to what would work out the best for all receivers. What you want to do is to have the same loss to all receivers so they all work as well as they can.

16. blentz

blentz Cool Member

Feb 27, 2011
    that was the missing part - how the dvr handles two different frequencies interally now.

I have a clear picture of how the swm stuff works now and it makes sense.

17. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Looks like with the future additions to the main house, he needs every tuner from the swm 16. I'm thinking that a new dish for the guest house would be easiest.