1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice H21-200 Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by merlin50, Dec 8, 2010.

1. merlin50

merlin50 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I have an H21-200 that runs fine for a few days and then freezes. It becomes completely unresponsive and the power light is on but pushing the buttons does nothing-screen goes blank. If I unplug it and plug it in it resets and works well for a couple days then repeats this process. I finally have enough of this and call Directv asking them to swap it out for a new one. They tell me that is impossible they will need to send a service tech. I am not happy with this because the problem is intermittent-likely won't be reproduced when the tech comes out and I don't want to wait at home and miss work. The rep claims its an HDMI cable issue so I am trying it right now on the HDMI cable that runs to the DVD. I can't change to component easily because I have it on a 50" panasonic plasma that is wall mounted and the inputs are difficult to access. I had the same receiver on another TV using component and it did the same thing but I guess they did not believe me. I don't know what is wrong with the box but it is some tricky issue and I am unsure why they will just not swap the box. I agree to pay the 22 dollars for shipping but no go. I guess I can just go on resetting it but I am honestly surprised and feel this is not good customer service. I would welcome advice on next steps if swapping the HDMI cables shows no improvement I suspect it won't. I don't get why they won't just send me a new box-seems petty of them.

2. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    They have a protocol to follow, a "script" for troubleshooting. Getting them off script is not easy. Assuming the cable doesn't solve your problem (and I doubt it will), and they have your report of "still doing it", then a replacement should follow. It sounds like a heat related problem to me, as if a component is drifting out of tolerance due to heat. In that case, the box needs to be replaced, you just need to jump through the hoops.

3. EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1 Mentor

Nov 26, 2007
    I have the same problem with my HR23. I know they are very different boxes but I'm eager to hear how you resolve it.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I got a new TV recently with HDMI control from the TV to other devices.
    Meaning the TV is sending control commands over HDMI to the DVR, Blu-Ray etc. A day after getting the new TV, I experienced freezes of the video on my HR24.

If your TV has HDMI control, turn it off. I did and my box stopped freezing up periodically.

5. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    I have a HR21-200 with the same intermittent problem you describe. I found that if I wiggle the HDMI cable the video and audio returns. I tried a different cable, but I had the same intermittent problem. I think the HDMI female connector on the HR21-200 is loose or it has cold solder joint on the circuit board. The problem started recently. My guess is the heavy Monster Cable HDMI cable caused the connection problem over time.