1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice needed on connected home

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by nancyh1980, Apr 15, 2011.

1. nancyh1980

nancyh1980 New Member

Jan 28, 2011
    This is has been one of the most frustrating experience. My grandmother's (4) TVs are connected to DirecTV service. (3) of them has the latest HD DVR and the 4th one has the digital box.
    Each TV location has unused Cat5E cable going back to central area.
    Due to her age, for mother's day, I would like to get her the ability to:
    1) Directv: record and watch on different TVs
    2) Netflix: watch on all TV.
    I was not there but the 1st and 2nd Directv contractor arrived and stated that they need to return. Of course, each time, they leave mud prints....
    I have a close friend who does high-end low voltage wiring (IP MP cameras...). I talked to him and he told me just tell him what to run and do for the setup and it is not difficult to run or add wires.
    Experts, thanks for your time and help.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Which digital box on the 4th TV?

If they all have ethernet, it should be as simple as plugging the ethernet into each box (assuming the other ends are all connected to your router), activating networking on the boxes and then calling D* and getting MRV activated (for $3 per month).

That will solve #1.

For #2, you need to have a box that can deliver Netflix (D* receivers don't do that), and that's a whole different configuration issue.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    These may be DECA but we just don't know yet :shrug: