1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on moving/new install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by garywitt, Apr 20, 2012.

1. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Thanks in advance for any advice,

I've been with D* since 2004. My current setup is a 3 lnb dish, 6x8 zinwell multiswitch, with 3 receivers: HR22, HR20, R22. 6 total tuners, all with "home run" coax runs. Not currently under contract. I have MRV enabled, but doing it with wired ethernet connections to each receiver, no SWM/DECA. I was participating in the cutting edge program a few years ago but lost time/interest and haven't in some time.

I am moving to a new house May 14th, built 1999, coax jacks in nearly every room. There is a Dish Network dish installed with 2 cable runs into a box on the outside of the house, I have not yet been able to trace where or how these coax lines from the dish connect with the coax jacks in the house. There currently are coax lines in the family room, office, master bedroom, both kids rooms and at least one line that runs to the basement. I am looking to install a receiver in the family room, master bedroom, and guest bedroom for now. Two kids bedrooms, an office, and unfinished basement means that I will definitely be expanding in the future. Will probably have a combination wired/wireless network in the house. So 6 tuners to start with but maybe 8-12 in the future.

I called directv mover's connection, the CSM did not seem all that knowledgeable, had no idea what SWM was. I would like to install directv using SWM, hoping to avoid running new coax lines through walls. She said that would be automatic since I already had MRV enabled on my account. Offered "free" install, but $20 charge. I asked about HR34, she said I could upgrade to this for $99, and would keep the receivers I have now. I asked about DECA or connecting to the internet, she didn't seem to know much about this.

Any advice for things to look out for or ask during the moving/installation process? I am hoping this is as simple as installing a new dish and connecting into the home's coax infrastructure using SWM, is this possible? Any advice on receiver upgrades, including HR34? As far as connecting to internet, my understanding from reading the forums is with a DECA I can connect one receiver to a wired ethernet cable and all are connected via SWM, is that right?

Thanks!

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You might want to look through this thread: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=200573

The SWiM will be used, but since you're currently set for unsupported MRV, I'm not sure about how or whether you'll get DECA installed without a charge.

3. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    You should jump with both feet on that HR34 for $99, it guarantees SWiM and with your tuner count a SWM16.

Make sure you have an active landline internet connection or that part gets deleted from the work order.

4. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Thanks for the advice guys. A bit nervous about the HR34 given the issues I've read here but I went through the same issues with my HR20 and lived to tell the tale...

5. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Just ordered my install and HR34 today...

I was hoping someone could confirm something though - given that the previous owners of our house used Dish Network, should I assume that the cabling in the house would be compatible with DirecTV SWM, so that no new holes will need to be drilled or new lines pulled? House was built in 1999, my impression is that there is a combination of "builder installed" pre-wired cable outlets and a few extra runs pulled by the previous owner or DISH...I'm hoping the installer can set up SWM so that the directv signal runs through all of these already installed lines...

Thanks!

6. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    ive had a 34 since feb and have had no issues

7. cabletech

cabletech Legend

Jan 20, 2011
    garywitt yes you should be just fine.

8. garywitt

garywitt AllStar

Nov 1, 2006
    Had the install today and, in my opinion, the installers did a fantastic job!

Actually fished a line from the attic down through a wall to install a wall plate and jack, wasn't expecting that.

Installed the SWM16 and splitter on the outside of the house, looks great, new LNB3 dish.

Installed new HR34 with the PI installed on a splitter in the main room
    Re-Installed HR22 with DECA in master bed
    Re-Installed HR20 with DECA in guest bed
    Re-Installed R22 with DECA in basement
    Installed broadband DECA with separate coax line in office, where router is located

Set up WHDVR and renamed all receivers

Removed some old cabling that I wasn't planning on using in the future.

I had two questions after install..

#1) I'm not crazy where the broadband DECA is located, and I might remove the coax from this room (or eventually install a wall jack as opposed to through the carpeted floor where it is now). Is it true that I can remove the broadband DECA completely if I have an ethernet run to directly to the HR34?

#2) I am still using an R22 on an SDTV, if I upgrade to an HDTV can the R22 be activated for an HD signal?

Thanks!

9. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    1. Yes.

2. It most likely is already, look at the info and test screen in the system menu.