1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on visiting New York City

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Chris Blount, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I've been kicking around the idea of visiting New York city over the new year holiday. Never been there except passing through the airport. We will arrive just after Christmas and leave the first week in January.

I have never been to New York and need some advice on possible package deals and places to stay. We will of course do all of the usual stuff like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Rockefeller center, times square and central park. While doing times square on new years eve would be neat, I don't have my hopes up as I have no idea how that works. Don't you pay to get in there? Is there any other way to watch the ball drop without standing for several hours? My back couldn't take that.

So, my main questions are:

1. Where in town should we stay?
    2. Should we even bother renting a car?
    3. What sort of tour packages should we look into?
    4. Are the taxi's expensive?
    5. What are other good sites to see besides the usual stuff as mentioned above?

Thanks for the help.

2. Pete K.

Pete K. Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Native New Yawker here....how much are you willing to spend? Living expenses in the city are high. If money isn't a huge concern, stay in mid-town. The Sheraton New York Hotel and Towers on 53rd is convenient to everything. I have stayed on the outskirts of the city in Ft. Lee N.J. and on Long Island. Nothing was as satisfying as staying in mid-town. Don't bother with car rental unless you plan to leave the city. The cost of parking a car, anywhere in Manhattan will put you in bankruptcy court. Can't speak to the tour packages. I 've never done one since I know the area. Taxi's are expensive if you are going from the airport to mid-town but the busses and subways will get you where ever you want to go for much less. http://www.mta.info. Times Square is public, you will not be charged anything to visit on New Year's Eve or any other time. You will need to arrive early and stand for hours if you want to be close to the Apple drop. At the Empire State Building, skip the silly ride and just opt to go to the observation deck on the 86th floor. If you have kids, they might enjoy the ride but all it did was make me feel like throwing up. Take the Staten Island Ferry just for the ride and the view. It is free. Visit ground zero. It will make you sad but you will be very glad you paid homage to the thousands who gave their lives on 9/11. Eat at the Carnagie Deli. It is a tourist trap but one of the few that I truly love. The food is expensive, the portions are huge. Lastly, go see the Soup Nazi (Original Soup Man) 259 W. 55th Street. Trust me, this is the very best soup you will ever, ever eat. The store reopened just this week.

3. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    I was in new york yesterday, i go to NY atleast 10+ times a month. I live in Philadelphia but I drive limos all day. NYC is my baby.

Now pete probably knows better than I do. but I learned alot myself.

It depends on where you want to go.
    Manhattan most likely will be your choice, that island can get very packed with traffic. Now at that time alot of places will be off for holiday weekend plus times square will be setup to watch the balls drop.

My guess is it your flying in see if you can land in EWR newark NJ. If you can avoid JFK the worst airport in the world as far as getting in and out of, or depends on what time your plane lands their.

I advise you that once you do get in that you find and learn the subway system. The train is the best way to get around. Driving takes forever.

Now what towns do you want to go to.

Brooklyn
    Queens,
    bronx
    central park
    chinatown,
    times square.

Whever you want but it can be hell, plus the prices will be high.

However their are alot of gret deli and food places yes the prices will be high but very good.

I hope you have your credit cards paid off you will need them.

try and use hotwire or orbitz to get a great travel deal.

if you need give me a buzz for any info on a certain place u want to know. Plus sometimes Im up in manhattan 2 -4x aweek.

4. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    Here’s my 2 cents:

1. Where in town should we stay?
    I stayed just south of central park. The location was great. We could walk to everything from that location.

2. Should we even bother renting a car?
    Nope. Not needed in Manhattan. Too expensive to park.

3. What sort of tour packages should we look into?
    We just did our own thing. I was cool with that.

4. Are the taxi's expensive?
    From what I recall, not too bad.

5. What are other good sites to see besides the usual stuff as mentioned above?
    FAO Schwartz, The Museum of Natural History, Take a subway to Coney Island (subway a little scary).

I did the very same thing you’re thinking of doing. We got there December 26th, 1995, left on January 2nd, 1996. We watched the ball drop too. Stood outside from 5PM until 1:30 AM, without bathrooms! Many people pee’d their pants. Not me. I held off on the beer until after the ball dropped. We were packed in like sardines. Would I do it again? No chance in h*ll. My legs were sore. One of my fondest memories was having a drink in the world trade center on the 109th floor (or 106th floor, too many drinks to remember ;)). We were overlooking the Statue of Liberty and watching the sunset. The F’n terrorists failed to destroy that memory. It was my first and only time in New York.

Have a cool trip!

5. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You've gotta go to Times Square if you're gonna be in the City (the capitalization is deliberate, it's the greatest city I've ever been in) over New Year's. There simply isn't a better place to spend New Year's Eve. I've done it many times and it's always a party. Never had a problem. Been going to the City all my life and never had a problem. Used to be the first place I took a prospective girlfriend. You'd be amazed at how many people in NJ have never been to NYC. I lived in the Chicago area for over a year and it's not close to the City. So much to do, so much to see. Does get cold in the winter there, bundle up. Be prepared to spend a lot of money, it's not cheap.

Have a good time, Chris,

Rich

6. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    if you get to times square to go 44th between 6th and 7th ave, thiers this great BBQ place virgils.

http://www.virgilsbbq.com/index.php

i got a rack of ribs i think i payed like 27, worth every penny. It was F-ing great.

but yeah as everyone said if your going to NY you must to go times square atleast once. you should be fine if your their around dec 26th or so. its dec 31 that it gets crazy.

the problem with taxi's is especially at that time during the year you could sit in alot of traffic.

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If you do the Statue, and want to go to the crown, make sure to reserve your crown tickets, it's fairly limited access. They let three groups of 10 per hour up. To do the museum and pedestal, you need at least a Pedestal ticket. I'd try to do Ellis Island as well.

http://www.nps.gov/stli/planyourvisit/things2know.htm

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Don't let the bed bugs bite!

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Try the Staten Island ferry.

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't wait for them to migrate to NJ.

Rich

11. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    The Queen Mary 2 will be there on Jan 3.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    That's kinda a summer thing. As is the Circle Line cruises, which I heartily recommend. Warm day, nice cruise, a chance to see a side of NYC that folks rarely see. Those ferrys are cold in December.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And the Intrepid is always there. So much to see!

Rich

14. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    The Intrepid. DEFINITELY see the Intrepid.

Catch a Broadway play. It's an experience unlike anything else anywhere else in the world!

15. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    if you want i could show you around, I'm up in NYC alot, however I spent many nights on dec 31 over the years in times square and many times i had a empty fountain soda cup manily to piss in the dark. I really dont want to do that again.

I havent been in NYC during new years for about 8 years. what dates you going to land. If you can my guess be like a few days b4 new years eve like the 26th,

plus not sure if your hockey or basketball fan but usually madison square garden has something going on.

16. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
  17. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    As others have pointed out, your best bet of airport is Newark (where you can take the monorail to the Newark Airport train station and then NJ Transit Train to Penn Station in midtown Manhattan). If you stay in Manhattan, you don't want to rent a car.

Times Square on New Years Eve is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity (meaning if you do it once, you'll never do it again). You need to get there early and dress warm. For events like this, NYC uses corrals as their crowd control. They block off the streets into areas with crowd control gates. They allow a limited number of people into each area. Once you are in an area you have to stay there. If you leave, you can't return. (There are some porta-johns around, but plan on holding it for 9 hours.)

Other things to consider seeing: Lots of museums, NY Stock Exchange, Chinatown/Little Italy, Greenwich Village/Washington Sq Park, Ground Zero. Get tickets in advance to a Broadway play that you want to see.

18. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    upstream i suggested EWR atop. but yes never use JFK, or lga no one wants to take the van wick ever the death of all roads.

if you land in LGA laguardia youll be pretty much in queens, best bet is to take the tunnel drops you off at 39th right near 42nd wich leads to times square.

19. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Forget the ferry - I forgot you're talking about December.

Honestly, NYC at Christmastime is probably the most romantic spot on earth. Forget "chick flick" romance - it's a fantastic, wonderful time for women and men. Throw in a play, a concert at Carnigie Hall, the Christmas Show at Radio City, and you'll never forget it.

20. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    wil have u tried virgils bbq best ribs good stuff