1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AEP and BBC News

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JT Alred, Feb 16, 2017.

1. JT Alred

JT Alred New Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Does the AEP carry BBC World News. You would think it did because you are suppose to get all the channels with that package (excluding PPV). Dish keeps dropping channels and not replacing them with quality content.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    No. BBC World News is not available on any regular package. It would require a new carriage contract.

3. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    If you have high speed internet, get a Roku. You can find both BBC World News & BBC News.

4. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Top 250 and AEP have the same channels, but AEP includes all the premium movie channels. AEP doesn't include anything else DISH offers.
    BBC World News is only available with Sling TV and in the Flex Package. While none of us know for sure it is likely there are no rights to carry it in other packages. Just as DISH does not include the locals in Flex but must with other packages it appears Flex is exempt from the requirements of other packages. And it isn't just BBC, there are other channels only in Flex.

Most every channel that DISH no longer carries over the last couple of years are no longer in existence or soon not to be. Some are still there but morphed into something else. DISH didn't just decide to drop them. As of now an exception is Chiller, though it has been rumored it is down for the count for sometime now. You can look for more channels to disappear as some companies have announced they are ending some of the channels they have. Viacom and NBC among them.

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Viacom didn't announce anything shutting down, just Spike rebranding to Paramount in 2018. (Most of Spike's originals like Lip Sync Battle, Bar Rescue and Ink Master are safe and will survive the transition) Some clueless analysts just read way too much into their plans to focus on MTV, Nick, Nick Jr, Comedy Central, BET and Paramount (Spike), and ignored what the new CEO did when he had a similiar initiative while he was in charge of Viacom's European operations. (The same clueless analysts who claimed AT&T is abandoning satellite in favor of DirecTV Now, or claimed Trevor Noah is on the way out, even though he's giving them higher ratings internationally than Jon ever got)

A few days later both the CEO of Viacom and the president of the US divison those channels operate under came out and said the statement referred to what Viacom is going to focus on as global brands, and they have no plans to shutdown their other US channels like TV Land, VH1, CMT, Logo and others, as well as their European channels left off the list with no US counterpart like Channel 5 or VIVA. (i.e. CMT, Centric, Logo, MTV2 and TV Land don't translate to international brands, while VH1 US is nothing like the international VH1 channels which operate as 24/7 Adult Contemporary music video channels as a sister station to MTV's other international and localized 24/7 video channels.)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  6. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    That is not always the case. If a channel wants more money or some other reason Dish and the channel cannot agree, often the channel will be dropped. Good example is the UoW and other college stations. Many still operate off satellite and streaming.

7. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I have no idea why Dish would have such a restrictive contact regarding BBC World. The channel is in the main packages on Direct and well as Charter Cable here. That doesn't make sense to me. I just wondered "if" Dish had some other ideas to include different channels only in Flex and add on's. That way there can make more money. I got tired of waiting for Dish to add certain channels. that is why I bought the Roku. I have not been disappointed.

8. Blowgun

Blowgun DHMO User

May 23, 2008
    AEP = Almost Everything Pack

JT Alred likes this.
  9. Troch2002

Troch2002 Member

May 7, 2016
    You can get BBC World's news if you drop down to the Top200 and add the News Pack.

Yes I agree thats dumb, but thats just the way it is.
    AEP and Top250 have no options of getting BBC world news.

10. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    Dish has to pay to carry BBCWN. It obviously doesn't fit into their economic calculus to carry it on the main packages.

BBCWN is available on Sling, and now later on the Flex pack. It's obvious that the Flex pack model on Dish is riding on the carriage contracts from Sling, which are different than the full package Dish network services.

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I guess I can understand that, but I would think with so many wanting BBC World that Dish would allow the channel to be offered other than in just Flex or Sling. I have it on the Roku, but it would be nice to have it on Dish, so I could DVR it. On the Roku, the pq is nearly HD, so Dish only has BBC World in SD, I would guess my pq is better.

12. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It's not just that Dish "doesn't allow it", it's that they'd have to pay the BBC more money to offer it to more customers. In their calculation, it's not worth it. Put in a request to Dish and if enough people want it, maybe they'll change their mind

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The biggest issue is that the channel (BBC World News) is not available at any price to AT250 subscribers. Even if one accepts that "everything" does not include every channel, there should be some way of adding on the channels - other than dropping other channels.

The theory that DISH doesn't want to pay to deliver BBCWN to all AT250 subscribers is interesting. But why not have the channel available a la carte? The option should not be mutually exclusive.

JT Alred likes this.
  14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... I'm with James. I could understand if there's a reason why they don't want it in a particular tier... if that would raise the cost of that tier and isn't necessarily something Dish feels that many Dish customers want to pay for... but I wonder if BBC itself has nixed the a la carte idea? Because, otherwise, having it as an a la carte add-on just makes sense. Even if Dish still required some minimum tier to be able to add it... at least giving it the option to be added to that point and above would be consistent with how they offer most other channels.

15. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Those "add on" Flex Packs are available to Flex subscribers. How about an English International News Pack with BBC World in it? I used to pay $1 a month for Euro News, but dropped it when it went to the 118. I have had in on the Roku for sometime now.

JT Alred likes this.