1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aggravating Issues

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by osgood_tim, Dec 12, 2011.

1. osgood_tim

osgood_tim New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Let me start off by saying I was extremely excited to get direcTV after a long fought battle with Comcast.

I got DirecTV installed yesterday. I live in a house that is split into two units. So, my neighbor and I both decided to get DirecTV (all coming off of one dish).

I got a HR24 (DVR+HD) installed and a H25 (regular standard HD box) for two TV's in my half of the unit. My neighbor got one HR24 and three other standard HD boxes.

To make a long story short - the tech came and installed everything. It all seemed to work good (although I did not try out the DVR yet). I realized that I would rather have the main receiver upstairs with my bigger TV so I switched the boxes. I did not remove any other wires, cables, etc. Just the boxes and their AC power cords.

Once I switched the boxes, I rebooted both of them by using the redbutton and re-assigned them names because I had the Whole-Home DVR system installed.

My problem is this: None of my TVs will connect to the internet. The cLink light is flashing on my DECA box. I've tried to reboot, power down, reset, unplug, redo the satellites, everything, but the DECA cLink light is still blinking and cannot connect me to the internet.

On top of that, my neighbor is able to see my DVR receiver and what I am watching/recording. She also can delete all of my recorded shows and vice versa for me as well.

Bottom line is I am not happy. DirecTV cannot come for another three weeks and the fact that I am paying for a service that is not working properly, especially it not even being ONE day, is extremely frustrating. Is there anything I can do on my end to fix the internet and DVR issue?

Thanks!

Tim

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The two of you need to have a bandstop filter connected between the feeds to each of you. "Perhaps" this is on the DECA coax, and why it can't see/sync with your receivers.
    It would help "a bunch" if you could take some pictures of the cable from the dish and the splitter(s) the each unit connects to.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Without knowing how he set it up, there isnt much to tell you. For a dual unit setup like that, they should have used a SWM16, with 8 channels going to your side, and 8 channels going to her side, and put a bandstop filter between the two to keep you from accessing each others programming. As for the internet, if it was working before you moved the box, you will need to check the box attached to the splitter that goes to your router. If its wireless, maybe you moved it out of range. Hard to say without knowing exactly how it was all hooked up in the first place.

Ill defer to VOS, as he is the expert here. Good luck.

4. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    A splitter setup like this will work:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Now there seems to be another "little glitch" here, as both units seem to be on the same account which is a :nono:
    The other unit shouldn't have MRV active on their account.
    For the short term, go over to their unit and change the playlist options from display all to local. This will have them no longer see your recordings. If/when their DVR gets rebooted, this setting will need to be changed again, because it defaults to all, not local.

6. osgood_tim

osgood_tim New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Here is a picture of the connecter the tech installed yesterday. As far as I know, there is not a second connected split like shown in the picture you included. Also, I see no red "block" module either...Unless the second splitter is with the blocker is on her side of the unit...

Attached Files:

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    There has to be more/another splitter because four coax can't feed everything connected.
    You have 3 and she has 4.

8. osgood_tim

osgood_tim New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    So I suppose the other splitter is in her unit, probably without a block, correct?

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If she can see your recordings, there isn't a block/filter between the two of you.
    Look at this "The cLink light is flashing on my DECA box", as it may have the filter on its cable. The cLink is flashing because it can't find any receivers.

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The proper way, assuming two seperate accounts is for two complete installations including dishes should have been installed.

Not looking forward to where this road may lead.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    If you call and ask for a BS filter they can order you one which you could have in a couple of days. This is why each account should have it's own dish. Another short term fix would be to manually configer all of your stuff on a different ip base such as 192.168.20.1 or something. This would stop the receivers from seeing eachother as well as stop the current router/modems from fighting for internet access.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    With only one HD DVR & SD receivers on "her side", does she even have a CCK?

13. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Almost all new customer orders have them if they say they have internet. So I'd say it's safer to bet she does at this point. Even just ordering HD DVR's now usually gets you a discounted or free CCK. They want everyone connected.

Edit:

Easy way to check would be a: ask her or b: disconnect his and reboot his receivers then check the IP address. If they have a 192 then she does and if it's 169 then she doesn't, or it's not setup correctly.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "But" this seems to be a single account being used between two units. :nono:

15. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    I'm going on the fact that it's not and that there were 2 orders. If there weren't then the tech already did something he shouldn't have done and the service tech that goes out there will have to deal with it.

If this is they paid a few bucks out of pocket for that one order. I guess the OP needs to state more information but for now I'll go under the assumption, I know, that everything is on the up and up.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Currently two units are sharing recordings, but only one unit has enough hardware to have Whole Home "authorized" ;)

17. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008

His original post says he has an HD DVR and HD (H25) and she has a HR24 and 3 HD receivers.

So between the 2 units it's would be 2 HD DVR and 4 HD receivers.

18. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I missed that, and "read" standard receivers. :nono:

This can only work with a bandstop filter and the splitters I posted earlier.

[edit] OR do as RobertE posted and use two dishes.

19. osgood_tim

osgood_tim New Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the thoughtful insight.

The account is two accounts. The orders had to be placed separately and for my bill and her bill, it is two accounts.

I am going to assume that the tech did not install a stopper/block since I can see her recordings and vice versa.

In terms of the cLink, it says the coax is connected but internet is not. I get the generic IP address that begins with 169. (I think).

There is DHCP showing.

Does this sound like a relatively common issue? And I assume all the tech needs to do is to install a block/stop between the two units and all will be well, correct? I just hope I am not looking at a nightmare. Seems like the tech guy just wanted to hurry up and leave when he came.

As for the internet - I am still trying to figure out what the issue is. I moved the boxes back to their original rooms that they were configured with to see if there was an issue. Still, blinking cLink.

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That's not an assumption. You don't have a bandstop filter separating her system from your system.
    To have a blinking cLink, you do have a BB DECA or CCK that connects to your home network.
    I'm not sure how you could have it working once, then move/swap receivers and not have it working now.
    It is blinking because it can't find another receiver's DECA to sync with.
    You/she also have more splitters than you've shown.
    Not sure how much farther this can go without knowing more about the cabling and frankly, getting the bandstop filter installed.