1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aging presidents (non-political)

Discussion in 'The OT' started by ProfLonghair, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Dec 3, 2009 #1 of 10
    ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    CMH
    I accidentally watched some of Obama's speech @ West Point the other day, and it struck me that the presidency seems to have hit him harder, earlier, than the other recent, 'younger' presidents. Bush and Clinton both served 8 years, and while I don't think most adults look as good after 8 years aging, it seems to hit the president especially hard. It's not like Reagan and Bush I were exactly 'lookers' when they took office.

It's a stressful job, no doubt. Just wondering if anyone else had the same thought.

2. Dec 3, 2009 #2 of 10
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I've been a president twice and it has aged me terribly. I look
    like I've earned every one of my 71 years. :p

Seriously, Obama looks to me like he's already aged five years.

3. Dec 3, 2009 #3 of 10
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Can't imagine how that job wouldn't age you, even in good times. Especially if you take the job seriously.

John

4. Dec 3, 2009 #4 of 10
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I saw a change immediately after the election, which makes me suspect he was using makeup and dyeing his hair before the election.

5. Dec 3, 2009 #5 of 10
    smiddy

smiddy Tain't ogre til its ogre

Apr 5, 2006
    He's learned a lot in the time he's been in which due to the entire package, I would think, ages anyone. I bet if we did a comparison between all of the Presidents first day to the near end of their first year, there is a noticeable difference.

6. Dec 3, 2009 #6 of 10
    rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I have no doubt that the job "ages" The President very quickly. Besides just the stress of the job's responsibilities, there are the ridiculous hours. It's not like a normal job where you leave it behind at 5:00pm every day and have weekends and holidays to relax. The President is on the job 24x7x365.

7. Dec 4, 2009 #7 of 10
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Where can I get one of those "normal jobs"? :)

I believe in this case it has more to do with allowing himself to age than actual aging ... most likely there was more of an attempt to keep the youthful appearance before the election and now a more distinguished "touch of gray" appearance is being accepted. I've had a touch of gray for years (all natural color) and I'm younger than the president.

That being said, the presidency does seem to age people: Here's what CNN had to say about it last January ...
    The president ages twice as fast while in office, according to a theory advanced by Dr. Michael Roizen, a chief wellness officer at the Cleveland Clinic.

"The typical person who lives one year ages one year," he said. "The typical president ages two years for every year they are in office."
    [​IMG]
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/01/06/presidential.health.aging/index.html

8. Dec 4, 2009 #8 of 10
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Would just like to add, the caption for the picture above says, "This photo illustration projects what President-elect Barack Obama may look like in four years."

9. Dec 4, 2009 #9 of 10
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    The "aged" picture of the president is a fake.

Let's don't start that.

10. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    Definitely not in The White House! :) I know that most jobs aren't strictly 40 hours per week, but so far, I've been pretty lucky to have mostly 8-5 jobs. There are times when I need to put in extra hours, and I don't mind it a bit, but when it becomes "the norm" or "the expected", it's time to move on.