1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ahmadinejad’s letter to Bush

Discussion in 'The OT' started by tomcrown1, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
  2. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    That's not an olive branch, it's another attack.

3. durl

durl Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2003
    Oh, let's please reach out and try to understand the Iranian president. He only wants peace. Well, he denies the Holocaust and wants to kill all Jews, but besides that, I'm sure he means well.

Whatever.

4. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Many Christians have been raising very similar questions about how someone who claims to be a follower of Jesus could make some of the decisions President Bush has made.

5. jonstad

jonstad Hall Of Fame

Jun 27, 2002
    Sigh!:(

Well here we go again. I will be accused of "defending" this guy.:nono:

But could someone point me to the exact quotes where Ahamadinejad "denied" the Holocaust or stated he wanted to "kill all Jews"?:shrug:

My understanding is that he has expressed doubts about the facts of the Holocaust and thinks Israel is an illegitimate state that should be replaced, by force if necessary, with an Arab/Islamic state.

I agree with neither position. However, extrapolating them to the definitive statement he "denies the Holocaust and wants to kill all Jews" may not be an entirely accurate representation either.

The "letter" itself addresses neither claim. It does raise several issues that at least some of us feel may be worthy of consideration and debate. And it appears to show a willingness of Iran to at least sit down and talk about them. And again, what do we have to lose by talking about them. Are we somehow afraid that we would lose this debate?

Should Ahamadinejad's opening position be that he "denies the Holocaust and wants to kill all Jews", well I guess there'd be not much point in continuing a dialog. But I kind of doubt if that's how it would go. There would be a discussion of various issues from Iran's nuclear program to the war in Iraq to what should be done about the situation of the Palestinians and Israel.

What the US "has to lose" is the linking of these issues. While it may be inferred that Ahamadinejad "denies the Holocaust", we would deny there is any "linkage" between these issues, both untenable positions.

If this letter is a bluff or stall, let's call Ahamadinejad on it. Let's suggest we do sit down and have a no holds barred debate on all these issues from the Holocaust and the existence of Israel to Iran's nuclear program, its support for terrorism and the plight of the Palestinians.

6. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    But could someone point me to the exact quotes where Ahamadinejad "denied" the Holocaust or stated he wanted to "kill all Jews"?

He certainly denied the holocaust, calling it a myth. While he didn't use the exact phrase of wanting to kill all jews, he did call for the eradication of Israel and Zionists. I don't believe anyone thinks that would happen using just a gentle nudging. :nono2:

7. RichW

RichW Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 29, 2002
    What else would one expect with a right-wing, fudamentalist, religious zealot!

8. bobsupra

bobsupra Work In Progress DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 12, 2002
    Hold hands with Pat Robertson?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.