1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Aim meter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Mcmiller519, Aug 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    Does anyone use an aim meter, I have one and when I try to use any of the inline test it freezes up and has to be rebooted but it does run the eiv just fine after peaking dish

2. parmark

parmark Cool Member

Sep 1, 2010
    I spent $40 last week to purchase one from the Shack, only place I could find one. Not my favorite place to shop. Anyways, took it up with me to roof to try to acquire signal, and after 5 minutes the knob adjusting the volume fell off!! So I went to plan B - had wife sit in basement on phone with me while I moved dish around - 5 minutes later I had the signal - elevation was off a bit!

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    You got one of these for $40? At the Rat Shack? :confused:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...gnal-Meter-for-DIRECTV-Satellite-Dishes-(AIM)

4. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Radio Shack doesn't sell the AIM meter.

5. wallfishman

wallfishman Icon

Dec 31, 2008
    he must mean an aiming meter... like this one.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3264941#

if thats the one you got the best thing you can do with it is head back up to radio shack. atatch that 4 ft jumper that came with it to one side of it and start whirling it above your head in a circular motion. when you pick up enough speed let it go and see if you can take out the sales guy that sold it to you.

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    :lol:

7. leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    Had the same problem myself. Reinstall the newest update 2.1 Software and it will go away. I upgraded to 2.1 and it kept locking up when going into EIV plus or guided mode. Installed a 2nd time and it's running fine.

Now if only they could fix the issue where it turns off due to low battery with 5 bars left I would be happy.

8. Tech_1438

Tech_1438 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    Not to oversimplify it, but just keep it on charge when not in use.

As soon as I get back in my truck, the AIM meter and handheld both go back on the charger.

Good Luck!!

9. leeliam

leeliam Mentor

Aug 2, 2010
    My old one would last for a week without having to charge it. I'm ok with having to charge it every day or two. I'm just not ok with it shutting down due to low battery with 5 bars. With my old AIM and Birdog if it shut down due to low battery I could tell it was coming.

Just annoying if I forget to charge it. I dither dishes fast but a few times had to skip EIV because it suddenly shut down.

10. Simmerman

Simmerman AllStar

Apr 10, 2008
    Just keep in mind that the screen on the AIM is not nearly as well protected as the Birdog! Awesome effin meter though. I love it.

11. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Sorry, I know this is off topic, but your "user number" is great!
    (66666)

12. kingofku

kingofku Cool Member

Mar 9, 2007
    $40 for that thing? You can find them for $10 all day on eBay.