1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air America continues to add stations, ratings impressive

Discussion in 'The OT' started by lee635, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta added today, Asheville, NC is new, Phoenix tomorrow, 29 stations total plus Sirius and XM, and internet feeds to the world! Also, a condensed version is aired on the Sundance Channel. :)

link

"Franken recently beat Bill O'Reilly in New York City ratings, and his show is now also broadcast nightly on cable television's Sundance Channel. Clear Channel's KPOJ-AM in Portland, Ore., carried a .03 share of the coveted 25- to 54-year-old radio audience before it dumped an oldies format for Air America. It shot up to a 4.9 share within a few months. "

link

2. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    It won't be impressive until they stop having to pay stations to air their programming. Conservative radio has never had to do that.

3. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    The Station is a joke. Nobody who is in Radio thinks they will make it.

4. Un-lucky

Un-lucky Guest

They will only be popular till november 2nd..then they will be flushed away with the johns

5. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Hall Of Fame

Jan 15, 2004
    Interesting - I was told (in another thread) that the Sundance Channel didn't lean left.

And Clear Channel carrying it? That extreme right-wing radio media giant??? They also put it on in Denver. ;)

6. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I listen to the compellation of Air America shows on XM's America Left every once in a while. You're right it is a joke, literally. Some of the stuff on that channel is funnier then what's on the comedy stations. A bunch of loony toon lefty commies try to argue some asinine points that the majority of people could care less about. Just a bunch of modern day nut jobs, hippies that sound like they’re still trippn', just like the jokers over on Free Speech TV.

Personally I don’t care if the channel makes it or not. If you listen to it great more power to you, if you don’t, don’t listen. I’m consider myself to be an somewhat extreme conservative/reactionary but you couldn’t pay me to listen to Rush, the guy is boooooring along with the other conservative talk show that are on around here. At least with Franklin and co with their nuts and bolts I can laugh at their idiocy and IMO pure stupidity. I do on the other hand like Savage and listen relays on Saturday nights.

And of course a leftist will win in ratings in any part of New York state, look who the people voted in as our senators. T-417 more days until I get the pure pleasure of voting against that carpetbagging Clinton whore.

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Have you given Hannity a try? I rather like his style; he's much more brisk than Rush and has better guests (does Rush even have guests anymore?). He's been my favorite for some time now.

8. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Hannitys alright. I used to watch Hannity and Colmbs every night and have caught bits and pieces of his afternoon radio show on ABC News and Talk. The problem is I'm usually not around when his show is on Live, and haven't caught any repeats while flipping through the dial.

9. toenail

toenail Hall Of Fame

Oct 15, 2002
    I think Savage is a nut job. I prefer Hugh Hewitt. Maybe because he's a lawyer. But he seems just plain smarter than a lot of the dufuses, right and left, on talk radio.

10. Steveox

Steveox Banned User

Apr 21, 2004
    Micheal Moore should learn to do radio. Maybe he would be much better behind the mic instead in front of the camera

11. Art7220

Art7220 Godfather

Feb 4, 2004
    When are those shows on? I notice they don't mention Howard Stern's numbers. Cause he probably beats them.

Yeah, I used to listen to Rush in '91 until Stern came on in Fresno.

Stern says he invented talking on the radio, as opposed to playing music, is that right?

I much prefer Howard's politics.

-A- :)

12. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Yes, Stern invented talking on the radio, just like Gore invented the Internet. As far as Stern's politics go, it probably never occurs to people in your particular demographic that it's all about the ratings. Tell enough people what they want to hear... I don't know what Stern's political views are, but if you intend to mimic his, you will have to have to lower your standards, that is, if you have any to begin with.

"Be cautious who you choose to emulate, for he, too, may turn out to be a fool."

13. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Stern has had a histroy of being pretty independent. I think at one time he even ran for office as a Libertarian candidate (although I think it was largely a publicity stunt, like Joe Walsh running for President). He has supported Republicans in the past, like former Senator Alfonse D'Amato. He supported Bush after September 11th, but then went hard anti-Bush when the FCC started gunning for him (it's odd that he blames Bush for that since it is a Democrat commissioner in the FCC who's been howling for Stern's head, but that's another story).

14. Visitor

Visitor Guest

Interesting how you bash Stern while admitting you don't even know his political views. That pretty much tells us how objective you are, and how much such an opinion is worth. Maybe next you could tell us how you feel about some books you haven't read, or some movies you haven't seen?

In the past Stern supported Republicans. He was credited with helping Christie Todd Whitman win the govenorship in New Jersey, and supported Bush in 2000. He has turned against the current administration because of the absurd censorship the FCC is starting to endorse.

15. Visitor

Visitor Guest

Stern dropped out of the race for New York govenor when he was asked to make his finances public. I doubt if all the blue-collar workers who love his show would have been quite as happy with him once they learned how many millions of dollars he is worth!

The Republican head of the FCC is after Stern as much as the Democratic commissioner, which is why Stern has turned away from the current administration.

16. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Mr. Stern may have the last laugh if he eventually moves over to pay radio.....

Air America seems to be doing pretty good for being the little upstart network with a message that "no one wants to listen to".

17. SAEMike

SAEMike Banned User

May 29, 2004
    Nobody wants to see a traffic accident either, but everybody looks :)

18. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Icon

Apr 22, 2002
    Come now, Mike. Admit it. Everyone wants to see a traffic accident! How else do you explain the appeal of NASCAR? :)

19. danpedraza

danpedraza Mentor

Sep 16, 2004
    People just got tired of rush and the rest of the right wing nut jobs on radio. They wanted the other side. Its great... I would pay money to keep them afloat. However, they seem to be doing good because they have alot of ads running.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.