1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Travelers Deal With New Carry-on Rules

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Nick, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    "I'm not losing a lip gloss over it."

It may take a little while for travelers to get used to the new regulations following
    today's break-up of a suspected terrorist plot in the UK to blow up American
    airliners. There are new rules about what's allowed and what's not when you're
    traveling by air.

Most travelers did know that they needed to leave the liquids behind today, and
    they were happy to make the change if it meant they would make it to their
    destinations safe and sound.

Preparation was the key for those flying out of town. "I checked my bag, packed
    everything properly," said traveler Kelly Harrigan. "Hopefully that will do the trick."

"I repacked," said Melissa Ell. "I put all my clothes in my carry-on and all my lotions
    are on the plane."

But some were still confused about what was legal. They had to leave stuff behind.
    Others decided to dump their stuff directly in the trash.

"I had to rummage though all my carry-ons and find the itch gel, the hand cream,
    sunscreen, even one of my lip glosses, which is a gel," said Helen Wanderstock
    from Brooklyn, New York. "I'm not losing a lip gloss over it." ...

More @ WTOC.com

Details on the newly prohibited items are available from the TSA at:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/threat-change.shtm

2. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I don't know where I saw it (and appologies if it was here) but someone wrote that eventually airtravel will require us to either fly nude or with paper gowns like they give us in the hospital. We won't be allowed to bring anything on the plane, it must be shipped seperately and ahead of time.

Even then, what's stopping someone from digesting the bomb material similar to what drug mules already do.

3. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    My mother in law flew back here from California a few weeks ago, and then flew back. It's a good thing that she did it then. To shorten the time waiting in lines passengers are being encouraged to carry as little as possible with them, and avoid "clutter" in their carry-ons. Mom's purse is packed so tight that she can barely get it closed. It's like a file cabinet. She is famous in the family because for a number of years she carried the deed to the house in her purse. (She was finally persuaded that this was NOT a good idea.) If you are allowed two carry-ons, and two checked bags, she will travel with two carry-ons, and two checked bags, of the maximum size, no matter how long or short the stay. The next time she flies I don't want to be the person who tries to explain the new rules to her. Those apply to other people, not her. :nono: :lol:

4. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    It's quite silly. A plot's discovered and dealt with very well in Britain and yet people travelling between Seattle and Dallas have to toss out their Cherry Coke. An overreaction. But congratulations to MI5 on defeating the terrorists without invading another country.

5. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    I hope I will have a safe trip and not wait long in lines as I go back to San Francisco from New Orleans.

6. GeneralDisarray

GeneralDisarray Banned User

Jul 8, 2006
    An overreaction???? :eek2: :confused: Of course!! There are none of those nasty terrorists in the US. They wouldn't try to take down our airliners that originated in the US. They wouldn't do that would they? What? Huh? Somebody is telling me that they have already done it once. What was it, like maybe 5 years and 1 month ago?

We DEMAND our Cherry Coke!!!!!!!! Sheez..............

7. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    I still feel a lot safer knowing that that weird guy behind me doesn't have a big ol' tube of KY.

8. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    It IS safe to clean flat panel monitor screens with a cheap paper towel, isn't it? :D

9. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003

We became aware of a plot by British nationals of Pakistani decent to mix chemicals that would become explosive aboard aircraft travelling from the UK to the US. That was the plot. There was no evidence that some grandmother carrying a bottle of Poland Spring was going to mix her water with her hair gel to attempt to take down a plane between Milwaukee and Orlando. We need to deal with the reality of what's happening and not overreact when we learn of a nefarious scheme someplace else.

10. GeneralDisarray

Jul 8, 2006
    Well then let us just confiscate liquids from Paki's that are flying. Oh, wait. We can't do that. That's racial profiling.

The guys they caught were of Paki descent, from what I understand they were second or third generation British citizens.

Also, not sure if you have been watching the news. The Egyptians that were supposed to be headed to school in Montana that never showed up. Some of you guys are so naïve. These guys are already here and more are going to try to come here.

11. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    That's not racial profiling. This was a plot that was known. We (the British authorities) knew who the suspects were.
    If you were aware of a planned bank holdup by ten known men would you start checking the handbags of every single seventy year old woman going into a bank four states away?
    I don't find your argument terribly logical.

No, we get all our news from Juan's and your posts.

From the Chicago Tribune:

Authorities said they have no evidence that any of the missing Egyptians are linked to terrorists, and Chicago police Supt. Philip Cline said there is no reason to believe El Ela's travel plans Thursday morning had anything to do with the foiled terror plot in London.

12. GeneralDisarray

Jul 8, 2006
    Do you seriously think everyone involved in the plot is known and arrested? Do you seriously think "Oh this was in London. They would never try that here." :sure:

hmmmm..... Seems the FBI is now investigating a possible US connection.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theblotter/2006/08/fbi_investigate.html?1

13. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    From that blog:

White House Homeland Security Advisor Fran Townsend said while there is currently no indication of any plotting in the United States, she confirmed, "There are leads that the FBI is running."

I'm convinced if any of the plotters are here, they'll be tracked down. One place I do NOT expect them to turn up is at an airport to attempt to board an aircraft.
    This still doesn't change the fact that the average air passenger in this country had no reason to be inconvenienced.

14. GeneralDisarray

Jul 8, 2006
    Dude, can you read? We are talking about two different things. My quote above said nothing about plotting of the London deal happening in the US. It says that there are indications that the plotters(terrorists) may have ties to people in the US(more terrorists).

But if it will make you feel better, I will send you a $1 for your Cherry Coke since you were inconvenienced.

I am inconvenienced by having to put my pocket knife in my checked luggage when I travel. There is a reason they are not allowed now. Because that is how the first planes were hijacked. I doubt seriously it would happen again as I think people now would stomp a mudhole in someone's ass if they jumped up with a box cutter.

But we now know that they have an MO of trying to use a disguised liquid as an explosive to bring down an airliner. Are you always this farkin pig-headed?? :nono2:

15. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    Well, then why are we asking little old ladies to dump their lime rickys?

So not coming around to your way of thinking after a handful of posts makes me pigheaded?
    I don't mind YOU thinking that of me, especially since you've not presented any logical reason why all liquids had to be dumped on domestic flights here in the US.

16. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    let's see, our bodies are made up of what % water? So technically, humans shouldn't be allowed on flights.
    IMHO, over reaction as usual by the govenment.

17. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Okay... Let's say I am a terroris and I belong to a terror group called Al-overeacta, here would be my plot.

To any authorities that read this, this is purely fictitious. I am not a terrorist nor do I have any axes to grind with anyone! and if *I* can think of it, you BETCHA some REAL terrorist has thought of it and is more dangerous than anyone thinks.

First, I would create a very credible threat that would cause all the major airports to tighten security to such a degree that there are 300-700 people in a confined space waiting to get throught security at each terminal in each airport major airport. (LA, Denver, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, New York, Boston, Toronto, London Heathrow and Gatwick, Paris) ---sort of like yesterday! Them me and my "gang" would be corrordinated to travel that day. We strap on our explosive vests and go to the airport for our flight. We get in line at security. At approximately the same time around the world me and my gang would blow ourselves up taking several hundred people with us each! Remember. none of us has had to go through security. We are just waiting in line to go through security and we are all ticketed passengers! No security officer has done anything other than look at your ID and boarding pass if even that!

Scary huh? What do you do about THAT?

I came up with this scenario in my head 25 years ago when I was in a line of no less than 500 people waiting to get through a new security screening at CVG.

See ya
    Tony

18. GeneralDisarray

Jul 8, 2006
    Because we now know that they use this method to smuggle explosives and the airports do not have the equipment to detect this type of explosive.

Are you not able to wait 20 minutes to get a Cherry Coke from the flight attendant?

19. billpa

billpa Icon

Jul 11, 2003
    This plot was first detected a year ago; July of 2005. If what you've been arguing today were accurate, they would've put the "no liquids" restrictions in place long before now.

As far as your "can you wait 20 minutes" comment- that's not the point. The point is, how many freedoms are we willing to surrender in the face of some real and some not so real threats?
    I've heard a number of people the last couple of days joke that we're eventually heading toward having to travel naked. I don't think it would ever get to that point, but I doubt we've reached the end of those restrictions just yet.

20. GeneralDisarray

Jul 8, 2006
    Well then, the FAA should allow smoking again on domestic flights.:D

Got a link on your July 2005 date? It was actually further back than that, but it was a theory and not a plausible/viable option to come to fruition.

Do you think matches and lighters should be allowed on flights? I mean one man was able to smuggle a shoe bomb onto a flight and he was stopped while trying to light the fuse.

But back again to the other arguement. I should be able to fire up a cigarette anywhere I want. I shouldn't have to wait for me landing and going outside of the terminal to smoke a cigarette.
    hmmm. You asked the question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.