1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Al-Carte" Packages ARE out there!

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by tedb3rd, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tedb3rd

tedb3rd Godfather

Feb 2, 2006
    I don't know about DirecTV, but there's been a lot of discussion/suggestions to DishNetwork to provide more channels on an al-carte basis. Their argument is that the networks have all these contracts, etc. I'm sure it's true...

But check out what options are offered in the Canadian market via Starchoice. They have a bunch of small packages for $5 with 4-7 channels (page 2 of the pdf). I really wish that Dish or Direct offered something like this.

...Proof that it IS possible!! ...Like National Geographic for $2.49/month!!! Many of the channels are the same as offered in the US... If Direct and Dish had guts, they would go in together against the networks. Satellite is big enough business these days. I don't hear of too many people who are satisified with cable...

www.starchoice.com

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Possible, but not in this country on a mass scale. E* and D* have bulk pricing packages that are available to commercial accounts ... those show what a la cart could really be like in the US ---
    Paying more for less channels and only getting discount for buying AT level packages

3. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    Yes, the Canadian system is very different, and it works. But it's the result of different cultural and political attitudes toward TV.

If you're playing Sim USA TV, you could click around to change contracts and write new laws and set up the same system in the US. (I've got to get around to writing a game like that some day.) But in the real US, there's no groundswell of public outrage at not having a la carte, and there are more businesses interested in keeping the status quo than in changing it.

4. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Canadian DBS and Cable systems have had the theme based packaging and a la carte for years, hopefully it NEVER makes it's way to the US and fortunately it looks like it never will. Back in the day Dish Network offered an a la carte package unsuccessfully. Dish Pix was a package, pick any 10 channels (with some limitations) for $15/month and additional channels for $1.50/month. For $5 more you could get AT40 with 4 times the number of channels A la carte just doesn’t make sense, package pricing seemed to work well for over 20 years.

Here one for ya. After over 5 years with Dish and another 2 years with DirecTV I absolutely could not be happier with cable.

5. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    What a ripoff! 100 channels would cost $249/month! Keep this north of the border, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.