1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Al Jazeera America is now on DISH

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by dlt, Aug 20, 2013.

1. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    Channel 215, is now Al Jazerra, they have not changed the program guide yet, it still says current. Cant believe that the powers that be are selling America out like this.

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Worth mentioning ... but please - lets not have a thread that goes political and gets people in trouble.

3. mnassour

mnassour Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Indeed...I would recommend you watch six hours of it before making a comment such as this. Trust me, you WILL be surprised.

1 person likes this.
  4. thirteen

thirteen New Member

Dec 1, 2010
    I've just checked, and Al Jazeera America is running on DirecTV as well. It's on channel 358, where Current was. SD only.

5. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Al Jazeera America launched to 45 million subscribers. AT&T U-Verse dropped Current the night before launch reducing the count from the expected 48 million. Of major carriers Comcast, DirecTV, Dish Network and Verizon FiOS have it -- Time Warner is still in negotiations.

6. dlt

dlt Legend

Feb 21, 2007
    There was no intention of making this a "political" post. we have Fox with the Right, MSNBC with the "Left" and now this with Hmmmm??? You have to be slightly suspicious , take it as you may, thanks

7. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Al-Jazeera was the only news network to cover the atrocious treatment of the Zadroga bill in Congress (to provide funds to pay for the medical expenses of 9/11 first responders). They devoted an entire 20-minute segment to it. The only other MENTION of it was less than 10 seconds on MSNBC. The legislators were basically caught waiting for people to die so they wouldn't have to be on record as supporting a spending bill. After years of congressional stalling it was finally signed into law in January of 2011.

Judging Al-Jazeera by it's name is akin to thinking everyone with an "O'Malley" last name is an IRA terrorist.

1 person likes this.
  8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I like it.

9. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    I'll reserve judgement until finding a reason to believe the owners love America and want to help make it the greatest country in the world.

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Do you do that with other stations?

11. TheFoxMan

TheFoxMan AllStar

Aug 25, 2008
    Marion, Iowa
    Yes. I watch many and respect one.

12. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    And I'm gonna guess it starts with "F" and ends in "S" and doesn't have "reakingridiculou" in the middle.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I haven't seen a news channel EVER that I could make the claim that I believe they "want to better America"...

IF people aren't going to evaluate this channel by watching and commenting on the actual content, rather than going with rumor, innuendo, and insinuations... then this will be a short-lived thread.

As always, and for every channel... watch it if you want, don't if you don't... but theoretically we support free press and welcome other viewpoints.

Even IF the "enemy" has a "biased" channel... it behooves you to give it a look... "know thine enemy" comes to mind... Either you'll discover you were wrong in your preconceived notions OR you'll learn something to further your belief. Seems like a win-win to me.

1 person likes this.
  14. JWKessler

JWKessler Legend

Jun 2, 2004
    Al Jazeera has the stated goal of being a straight news service - no opinionated talking heads - no left or right bias - no celebrity gossip. They have invested heavily in the infrastructure to make this possible and brought on a number of respected American journalists. So far the programming seems similar to what I have seen on BBC World service, which is a good thing. Perhaps it would have been better if Dish had given us access to BBC World, but Al Jazeera seems to be a decent next best thing.

FYI, the second largest shareholder in Fox News is Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, so the anti-Muslim Fox fans should ponder that when condemning Al Jezeera for its ownership.

Frankly I don't want yet another news service that is pro-American. I want a news channel that is pro-news. We get enough pro-American propaganda already. That is why many who want to be informed look outside the American media market for their news.

2 people like this.
  15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I won't name one that probably believes that is their purpose ... however the mainstream channels want the same thing, to be profitable and inform. Generally in that order. News is the means to the ends of making money. :)

16. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    Soledad O'Brien a respected journalist? :rotfl:

For the record, I don't do SD so I won't be watching.

17. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Well there are those who fear being brainwashed by propaganda. And actually I guess that can be a legitimate fear seeing how some people get all fanboish in the worst possible way when it comes to their choice of news channel. Guess there's no shortage of weak minded people who can't seem to handle anything that isn't delivered in their own worldview or for that matter don't think anyone should get the chance to hear anything different from the way they feel things should be.

1 person likes this.
  18. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    Don't like the presentation, reminds me of CNN.... But I will continue to watch and make an "informed judgment"... Now there a contrast....

As of now they haven't told me how to think!

19. Orion9

Orion9 Legend

Jan 31, 2011
    Darn, it doesn't look like it is part of my package. I like free speech, but it looks like I have to pay $15 more per month to listen to it. :)

20. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    But is it real news or faux news?

1 person likes this.