1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alabama - San Jose State PPV on 787-1

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by mobilelawyer, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1 of 19
    mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Mentor

Aug 16, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    Did anyone try to order this game? I ordered the pay per view and set the game up to record last night. I got a message that due to technical problems, all or a part of the show did not record. None of it did.

I called for a got a refund. I take it that the standard def feed played just fine, and that there was simply no HD feed. If that is the case, why did the program guide specifcally offer this HD channel, clearly designated as an HD feed of the game, if it was non- functional?

Nice way to potentially blow $35. And the customer rep warned me that future credits might be more difficult to get.

How can a customer know in advance?

2. Sep 5, 2010 #2 of 19
    Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I ordered it from work, on 787 in HD. When it was time for it to start, I tuned to 787-1 for the game, and it told me I had not ordered. I tried with the remote, and bam, it was on. I've now been charged for two, and Ive emailed CS. I think they improperly had 787 setup for ordering both, when the HD feed was really on 787-1.

Ill be ordering from home from now on.

3. Sep 5, 2010 #3 of 19
    doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    PPV college games can be tricky to order.
    HD option new this year and bugs not unexpected.

Slingbox and order as it starts is the "safe and sure" way is you are out of down.

Doctor j

4. Sep 5, 2010 #4 of 19
    lwilli201

lwilli201 Hall Of Fame

Dec 22, 2006
    Missouri
    Personally I can not see anyone paying $35.00 to watch one collage football game that everyone knows will be a blow out. It was over in the first quarter. You should ask for a $26.25 refund. If these PPV games get real popular, that will encourage more games to be PPV.

5. Sep 5, 2010 #5 of 19
    Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Thanks for an opinion that wasnt asked for, and had nothing to do with the topic. Maybe us fans want to see every game, get over it. You spend your money how you want, and stay outta my business.

6. Sep 5, 2010 #6 of 19
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I bet OU and Utah State fans thought that too...Turned out to be a helluva game.

7. Sep 5, 2010 #7 of 19
    Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    I want to see my team, regardless of who they play. If I was a big NFL guy and cared about a particular team, Id buy ST.

I think the guys angst is not over paying to watch a gimme game, he obviously has issues with the price. $34 for an HD PPV game is not bad, considering what I pay for UFC and Boxing in HD.

8. Sep 5, 2010 #8 of 19
    Jason Whiddon

Aug 17, 2006
    Good Cust Service:

9. Sep 5, 2010 #9 of 19
    DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    That is false right there. The Big12 contract has strict guidelines for PPV games, I believe each team are only permitted a max of 1 or 2 and they are usually non-conference stinkers. And I too have in the past paid for a PPV game. If it's a match up I want to see I'll pay it.

10. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    Alabama has had PPV games since 1990 that I remember (although I believe they experimented with that in '83-'84). There has generally been 2-4 games per season on PPV since that time. I doubt that will change since the bulk of their games are televised as part of the SEC package on CBS and ESPN.

11. SkersR1

SkersR1 Legend

Jul 10, 2007
    Nebraska has 3 this year. I think the only thing that determines if it will be PPV or not is if it isn't picked up by one of the contract networks the 2 teams & fox sports can agree to put it on.

As for the original post the same thing happened with the nebraska game. I ordered online channel 785-1 but when I went to watch it I got the same due to a problem at broadcast time....

12. wregister80

wregister80 New Member

Jun 30, 2010
    Last year I only paid $24 for the game. Anyone know why the price went up?

13. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    With the new ESPN deal, SEC teams will only have 1 PPV per season at most.

14. JB292

JB292 AllStar

Apr 24, 2009
    I used my iPhone app to record it, but got the remote ordering option at 6:00 exactly. Used remote, ordered, and watched it in HD.

RT

15. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    It will depend on the schedule. Last season, even with the new deal, Bama had 2 PPV games (Florida International and UT-Chattanooga). Next season, I think there may be 2 PPVs (Georgia Southern and Louisiana-Monroe).

16. bamaweather

bamaweather Icon

Jan 18, 2009
    The Chattanooga game was on the SEC Network. Florida International was the only PPV game.

Only one PPV game per year was a stipulation of the SEC Network deal.

I'm having a difficult time finding sources, but here's an article from last year:

http://blog.al.com/solomon/2009/07/more_alabama_and_auburn_game_t.html

17. mobilelawyer

mobilelawyer Mentor

Aug 16, 2006
    Mobile, Alabama
    The customer rep who gave me the credit was courteous, and I understood her advice was to always order over the phone on the day of the game.

Still, this thread gives me no confidence of how to be sure the game will record if I am not there to monitor it as it starts to record.

If the event shows up in the guide as a PPV HD listing, and is ordered online by selecting that event with verifcation that the PPV was purchased, I am not satisfied with the explanation "that's a bug in the system" when the process simply does not work. Fix the bug, please!

18. AMike

AMike Godfather

Nov 21, 2005
    Thanks, I forgot the UTC game was on the SEC Network and was not aware of that rule. It's definitely a win for the fans which makes the games available on TV virtually every week.

19. Traveler62

Traveler62 Cool Member

Nov 20, 2006
    I had the same thing ordering the Nebraska PPV game. Then later had the game disappear from my DVR after recording it and watching some of it on Sunday. It somehow was tagged as a movie PPV and deleted it after 24 hours. I believe they are giving me a credit.