1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Alaska/Hawaii Dish install

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by berniec, Jun 15, 2013.

1. berniec

berniec AllStar

Nov 23, 2008
    okay so i ordered the 99/101/103 LNB, Alaska dish and associated back, and non-pen mount and tried to set it up today... with no luck. I've done plenty of SL3/5 installs so i know what the steps are here - tried just setting to 101 and doing 'sweeps' at different elevations one nut turn at a time - no joy. I tried this both with the dish at 0 degrees tilt (figuring that if nothing else it would at least see 101 and i could start dialing things in from there) and 60 deg which is what the SL3 tilt setting is for my area.

my questions are:
    does anyone see something i'm missing here- the SWM8 that i was using for this is what all my receivers use normally and once back connected to my SL3 LNB works fine.

Is there a different skew setting for the alaska/hawaii dishes? if so how does one figure out what it is (zip is 07086)

the only thing i can possibly think of is a bad LNB out of the box?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Curious why you are using the big dish in NJ...?

3. berniec

berniec AllStar

Nov 23, 2008
    added signal to combat rain fade.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Do you live in a community (HOA, Condo, city, etc.) that has any type of dish restrictions?

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    so you are going from a "legacy" LNB to a SWM8 switch. is that right? if so you must repeat the satellite set up and specify SWM as your switch type

6. berniec

berniec AllStar

Nov 23, 2008
    No

7. berniec

berniec AllStar

Nov 23, 2008
    I i was already using a legacy SL3 connected to the SWM8 prior to getting the bigger dish so the dish setup remains the same.

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    A dish that's roughly 4x bigger will add 6 db to your S/N ratio. Rain fade drops your signal by 30 to 40 db. It may add a tiny bit of margin, but the types of storms that induce rain fade will still give you rain fade. At best, it might start a minute later and end a minute sooner.

If a bigger dish really made a difference, don't you think every sports bar and apartment building that is wired for Directv in every apartment would be sporting a 1.2 meter dish on the roof, instead of the regular one?

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    What slice1900 says is correct;

Rainfades are deep chasms in signal strength where unless you're talking about installing monsters like the commercial uplink dishes pictured in my avatar or something, you will not gain any noticeable improvement in rainfade performance with the fringe area reception Al/Hi dish.

But anyhow, if you indeed have everything hooked-up correctly; LNB--->SWM-8--->splitter--->receivers and PI properly connected to the SWM module through either of its options and working, then perhaps you do need to try another LNB as that one should be receiving something, yet appears completely dead.