1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Alcatraz - Series Premier Jan. 16, 2012

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Scott Kocourek, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
  2. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    It premieres tonight, the 16th, not the 26th.

3. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    Thanks Mark, I fixed it. Fat fingers. :grin:

4. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Looking forward to it.

5. renbutler

renbutler Godfather

Oct 17, 2008
    My wife and I enjoyed the first hour (we barely started the second hour before the baby woke up). I noticed that it moved very fast in terms of plot development -- almost like an anti-Lost. We learned a lot quickly, but there are obviously still some mysteries that will be revealed over time.

I enjoyed the characters and their interactions. Jumping from time period to time period wasn't too distracting as it can be on some shows. There were some plot holes (and I'm not talking about the mysteries that will be revealed), so I hope the series isn't quite so sloppy as the pilot.

But overall, I can see this being something we can both continue to enjoy.

6. russ9

russ9 Godfather

Jan 28, 2004
    I liked it, definitely a keeper.

...Asking for a ticket on the return from Alcatraz, how silly was that (I know, the point was he actually had one in his pocket -mystery!- but really?

7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Definitely a keeper here as well, though I keep thinking Hurley. Hard to separate that character for me.

I'm really curious on how the ratings will be, not necessarily last nights since it was so heavily promo'd, but after next week.

8. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While I think it is a much better show than "Terra Nova", don't get too excited about the ratings as there were more demo viewers watching live TV last night (and more older viewers watching "Betty White"). Plus CBS walked away with the demo ratings for the first two hours.

9. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I think next week will be more telling.

10. Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    We had every intention of watching it last night and more important things came up, hopefully tonight.

11. NiTruS

NiTruS AllStar

Feb 6, 2008
    45 mins in, I deleted it..not good enuf..just barely average..

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Wow, if I did that I'd have missed some excellent episodes of Star Trek Next Gen.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I watched both episodes today, loved them both. I'm intrigued.

14. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I have no idea what this show is about. It appears to be rather senseless.

15. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I like senseless. Makes it interesting. :)

Especially anything with time travel.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Then you must not have been paying attention. :lol: They made it perfectly clear what the show is about.

17. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Simple. It's another crime procedural with a scifi twist where each week in the 2012 Winter TV season some mysterious science allows a genius cabal or individual (we can't know who until Fox cancels the show) to "reconstitute" (or maybe its time travel or not) in San Francisco one of the criminals among those who were in Alcatraz Federal Prison in 1963, maybe gives him an assignment; and the team played by...
    • Sarah Jones (who was Gretchen in the 2010 failed Fox series "Lone Star") who plays Detective Rebecca Madsen a too-young-to-be-a-SFPD-detective-but-she-was-smart,
    • Parminder Nagra (who was Dr. Neela Rasgotra in "ER") who plays Lucy Banerjee who may not be what she seems but then again we don't even know what that is,
    • Jorge Garcia (who was Hurley in "Lost") who plays Dr. Diego Soto, a geeky expert on the history of Alcatraz Prison,
    • Sam Neill (the Sam Neill) who plays Emerson Hauser, a mean old federal agent who is team leader but a whole lot more we don't yet understand,
    ...who chase down and capture the weekly reconstituted prisoner.

Whether it's senseless or not compared to other crime procedural with a scifi twist on Fox beginning with "X-Files" is also a mystery to me.:sure:

18. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    No space aliens?

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Could be they are the ones "reconstituting" the prisoners, or not. We don't know yet.