1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

ALERT: APC Surge Protectors Recalled Due to Fire Hazard

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Nick, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    [​IMG]

Schneider Electric Recalls APC Surge Protectors Due to Fire Hazard
    * Consumers should stop using this product unless otherwise instructed.
    * It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

The recall involves APC 7 and 8 series SurgeArrest surge protectors manufactured before 2003. The model and serial numbers are located on a label on the bottom of the surge protector. The two numbers that follow the first letter or letters in the serial number sequence indicate the year of manufacture. The unit is included in the recall if the numbers are 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01 or 02. APC and the words Personal, Professional, Performance or Network are printed on the surge protectors.

The CPSC website and a list of the specific model numbers included in this recall are here:

>>> https://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Schneider-Electric-Recalls-APC-Surge-Protectors/ <<<

Incidents/Injuries:

The firm has received 700 reports of the surge protectors overheating and melting and 55 claims of property damage from smoke and fire, including $916,000 in fire damage to a home and $750,000 in fire damage to a medical facility. There are 13 reports of injuries, including smoke inhalation and contact burns from touching the overheated surge protectors.

Remedy:

Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled surge protectors, unplug them and contact Schneider Electric for a free replacement surge protector.

Sold at:

Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, and other stores nationwide from January 1993 through December 2002 for between $13 and $50.

Manufacturer:

American Power Conversion (APC), is now known as Schneider Electric IT Corp., of West Kingston, R.I.

Manufactured in:

China, Philippines

2. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Nick: Thanks for putting his up! Turns out we have hundreds of these here at our headquarters campus and the few I've personally checked fall in the recall.

Our security and facilities teams will be sweeping the campus and noting for action.

Don "and to think goofing off on a non work related site might prove beneficial. THANKS Nick" Bolton

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Thankfully, the recall page allows multiple units per submission, though personally I'd do it in batches of 10 or so.

4. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Per letter, my new strip was to be delivered around Jan 20. I got it late December. It even works!

5. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    I received mine back in mid November.

6. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    Is there a web site setup to get a replacement or do we have to call the company? It turns out I have a few of these. I did a search for recall but nothing came up about it.

7. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    You can file the claim online here. (check your serial #s first, then if yours are affected, click Submit a claim at the bottom of the page)

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Though don't assume they'll send you the one that they say they will. The one I was replacing had coax, the replacement was supposed to have it as well, but didn't. I didn't do anything to correct it as I wasn't using that feature anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    Thanks for the info. I have 2 on that list that have been in use. I have pulled them and will make a claim.