1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aligning SuperDish While Not Level

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by newgene, Nov 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newgene

newgene Cool Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I have a problem, and I am wondering if this can be fixed. The only place I can install a my new superdish on my house is in a location that does not allow the post to be level. I have basically mounted it to the inside of the birdbox on one of my gables. To make a long story short, I am only getting one satellite, and that is 119. I cannot get 110 or 129. The installer had no clue how to get it to align so he just left it, and my alarm company rep actually got the dish to get the first satellite.

My main issue is this. Since the dish is not in it's typical plane of standard installation, how difficult will it be to align myself. Dish is coming back on Saturday to align it, but I'm afraid to let them touch it. They may leave it worse than it is now. I have aligned single satellite DTV dishes in the past, but this is more complex. Does aligning this dish sound very difficult?

2. davejacobson

davejacobson Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    Align without the mast plumb?? Forgive me but are your crazy or just plain nuts? You are trying to align to 3 sats 23,000 miles away! If ithe mast is not plumb you will be able to get 1 maybe 2 sats if your lucky. I dont understand why you cannot make the mast plumb of the 100s of installs I have done it has never been and issue

3. newgene

newgene Cool Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I guess in this case a picture would say a thousand words. My overhangs prevent the dish from being able to be mounted with the mast plumb, and I have too many trees in the yard that prevent being able to mount it in another location.

So, is it something that would take all day to align, if at all?

4. newgene

newgene Cool Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I just spoke with Dish, and they said they have this happen all the time. They said it shouldn't be that difficult. Are they just being stupid? I'm guessing they don't really have a clue, but are telling me anything?

I'm thinking all I have to do is get the first satellite, and as long as the face of the dish is perpendicular to the correct plane, and I can rotate it in to get the final sat(s). Am I oversimplifying it?

5. skyviewmark1

skyviewmark1 Godfather

Sep 28, 2006
    It can be done.. It just is not very easy.. Takes a lot of playing with it..

6. newgene

newgene Cool Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I can only imagine. I'm guessing I'll be able to get it locked in with whatever signal I get. From there, I'm sure I won't be doing any tweaking to get the best signal out of it unless one of them is really bad. Thanks.

** Edit **

I currently have the 119 sat tuned in with a 101 out of 125 signal. Someone told me that once I have the middle satellite tuned in, all I have to do is turn the rotation of the dish, and the other two should come right in. Does this make sense?

7. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Put your hand or aluminum foil over the center LNB and see if 119 signal drops. It would be easy to pick up 119 with one of the side LNBs and then you aren't pointed in the right place. But that is based on you saying you are trying to get 129. That would be a Dish 1000, which isn't the same thing as a Superdish. A Superdish would have two LNBs with DP logos and another that wasn't DBS in the same housing as one of the DBS LNBs. A Superdish won't get you 129 - only non-DBS 105 or 121.

8. newgene

newgene Cool Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Ok, I am mistaken. I do not have a superdish. I have a Dish 1000. How does that change the process. I am getting only sat 119, but it says I need to get 110 and 129 as well.

9. newgene

newgene Cool Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I just called Dish Networks and I spoke with a "Tech." Here is what I have. I have a Dish 1000. I have 119 coming in strong, and when I did a "check switch," 119 comes in green. They said that tells me I have 119 coming in on the correct LNBF, which is in the dead middle. So, it sounds to me like all I need to do is go out there and rotate the dish until they all come in.

Is that still making sense?

10. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    119 would come in green after a switch check no matter which LNB you were receiving it with. I'd guess you have a DPP Twin and it probably identifies the 129 LNB as a Dual and the other two as Twin. If 119 shows in the Switch Check results on the Dual, it is wrong for sure. If it appears on one of the two Twin entries, you can't tell if you are getting 119 from the 110 LNB. If you are, rotating the dish should get you 129 (but it would appear via the 119 LNB) but you couldn't receive 110.

Ignoring that they told you it was the correct LNB, if YOU actually covered just the center LNB and the 119 signal goes away, you have the Azimuth correct and are pointing at the right "compass heading" and elevation. That would leave only Skew adjustment, then fine tune Az and El.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.