1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All Directv HD is HD-Lite??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sigma1914, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    On a cable forum the HD-Lite topic came up & one cable lover stated:
    "Currently, Dish still has a few HD-Lite channels. ALL HD on DirecTV is HD-Lite either through 1080x1440 elliptical encoding or MPEG4 compression."

Is this guy right or way off?

2. drded

drded Godfather

Aug 22, 2006
    Tucson, AZ
    Elliptical encoding? Nice use of a fancy term that has little to do with HD. If this guy thinks MPEG4 is HD-Lite he is obviously demonstrating his complete ignorance of the subject.

Dave

3. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Wonder what he will say when cable (which is going to do it) goes to MPEG4.

4. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    I googled "Elliptical encoding" and came up with magnetic resonance imaging - so is that the correct usage ? Does it mean something else ?

Back on topic - if it is HD-Lite - HD-Lite looks fine to me. Somehow I doubt it is though.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Digital by it's nature is compressed.
    MPEG-2 uses an older algorithm while MPEG-4 is a newer algorithm that is able to work with smaller file sizes.

Does DirecTV, Dishnetwork, AND cable have some over compressed channels? YES.
    Do the newer MPEG-4 channels look good? To me...yes.

6. Heem(JimmyG)

Heem(JimmyG) Mentor

Nov 15, 2007
    Not sure about "HD Lite", I was under the impression that anything under full 1080P is "lite". I just changed over to D* about 4 days ago and I can pass on that most but not all of my HD channels thru D* are better than our old cable. Its just a crisper picture.

TV predictions posted an article a few months back that the head guy at "Dish" called the HD channels at D* "lite" to battle the amount of channels D* has vs dish

Lite or not the picture looks great

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since there is zero 1080p broadcasting, how can you compare broadcast to a bluray/HD-DVD?
    This isn't even apples to oranges.

8. kstefanec

kstefanec AllStar

May 13, 2007
    Couple of weeks ago, I read that the Japanese are working on the NEW HD, 4x's the resolution of 1080, so about 4000 something. So when that comes out, is a 1080p Blue-ray, HD-Lite?

If the picture looks good, I ain't complaining.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Technically all transmitted HD is "HD lite". All of it is compressed including live over the air broadcasts. The question then becomes what amount of compression is acceptable before you are able to notice any of the effects of compression.

MPEG4 is able to compress more than MPEG2 while delivering the same or better quality of picture.

While some of DirecTV's MPEG2 HD channels and broadcasts were "bit starved" to the point of being noticeable or objectionable, so far, in it's relatively short lifespan, MPEG4 appears to be doing much better, and providing much higher picture quality.

If it is "HD lite", it's okay by me. I think my HD pictures are fantastic.

Carl

10. bhelton71

bhelton71 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '09

Mar 7, 2007
    I thought I read the BBC is now 1080p. I think it is H264 with AC3 ( I downloaded the TS they released for testing last year - don't remember the framerate though I think it was 50fps). *If* DirecTV (or anyone for that matter) wanted to switch to the same type of video - would it be a whole new infrastructure (encoders, receivers, etc.) or is the existing stuff software upgradeable ?

11. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    None of the current HR2* series systems, can output a 1080p signal...

So it would require new hardware (at a minimum), on the home consumer side of the equation.

To answer the OP's question.

What is the exact definition of HD-Lite...
    It is a fairly vague internet definition ?

Some people say it is HD Lite if it is not one of the approved ATSC resolutions.... even if the images falls "between" two of the approved ATSC

Some people say it is HD Lite if it is just compressed more then they like it to be. (since all HD we see in our homes is compressed, including optical based medias).

some people say it is HD Lite... when they are comparing it to something else, with no other basis.

Others say HD Lite... just because they don't know any better.

So since there is no exact definition of HD-Lite... there is no real answer to your question.

The MPEG-4 versions we get of the channels are un-altered.
    They are at the same resolution that are received from their content providers.

Compression levels are what they are, and can account for some of the image quality issues.

Others... Some are received already in a compressed degraded state (some of the HD Locals for example, by over compressed broadcasters)... and the conversion to MPEG-4... can only be as good as it source.

Some HD content... is a pure as it can get via current technology standards from content provider to DirecTV... and then compressed as efficiently as possible via DirecTV to mpeg-4 and sent to us.

So my recommendation to the OP...
    Redirect that poster on the cable-forum over here...
    So he/she can explain how they feel DirecTV is HD-Lite is on all channels.

12. Cable Lover

Cable Lover Legend

Jun 19, 2007
    What cable fourm were you on? :eek:

13. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Thanks everyone. As usual, I learned A LOT here.

14. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    LMAO, I still have cable for my internet...until/if Fios EVER gets here.

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I've heard of ellipitical curve encryption. Is that what ellipitical encoding is based on?

Mike

16. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    If that was comcastRick I would have even chuckled.

17. AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer Mentor

Nov 14, 2007
    I assume the MPEG 4 supports various compression levels. I understand that uncompressed HD is 19.2M bits/sec. Can 2M bits/sec at 720p or 1080i be still called HD?

I realize that MPEG4 enables greater compression at the same image quality as MPEG2. But I also hear that the broadcasters and carriers can really compress a ton. With some DVD players you can monitor the bit rate realtime. Wish the D-boxes would let us do that :lol:

18. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    19.2 is the ATSC channel standard but that is already compressed. In the TV studio it runs about 45Mbps and true raw, uncompressed HD is way above that.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    "Uncompressed HD" would be the HDMI @ 1.4 Gb/s

AZ_Engineer:
    SD VOD seems to becoming at about 3 Mb/s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.