1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All HD package (what are the chances?)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by CorpITGuy, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Feb 4, 2009 #1 of 36
    CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    So what do you guys think the chances are of an all HD package from DirecTV in 2009? I used to balk at the idea, because my viewing habits are closely tied to content, not HD. However, I'm increasingly staying away from the few SD programs I did watch and most of my stuff is HD anyway... I was waiting on Southpark in HD on COMHD, so I'm happy about that...

If DirecTV had an all HD package, I'd sign a new 2 year commitment and pay for it all up front. :) That was never a possibility when I had Dish... they don't have Comedy HD and didn't have FBN or FNC HD at the time.

I know this is purely speculative, but a guy can hope, right? :)

2. Feb 4, 2009 #2 of 36
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    I would highly doubt it. It's only about $10 more for the top non premium package from DirecTV which includes HD over the top Dish HD only package. And as you step down in package again it's not a big difference. So to be honest I personally don't think it's worth it. The Dish "Turbo HD" is more marketing then actual worth to most people. Sure, some find it great and they like to save 10 bucks. But for the average person they won't find it worth it when they still watch some programs on SD channels.

3. Feb 4, 2009 #3 of 36
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The pricing model seems very heavily weighted on the SD portion of the monthly subscription. DIRECTV would need to do some serious restructuring of the pricing model to allow for HD users to ever pay for what they are getting.

Consider what the HD subs are getting versus what the SD subs get in terms of hardware, software and bandwidth and you'll likely agree that the SD subs are getting bent over to subsidize the HD subs:

The cost of the HD hardware is about double that of the SD hardware yet the lease fee is the same for all.

The bandwidth required to cast 100 HD channels is about 2-2.5 times that required to cast 250 SD channels. A HD Access subscriber with the Premiere package is paying ten dollars more for more than double the bandwidth just for the HD portion.

People complain about various fees, but without more of a pay-as-you-go approach in terms of both hardware and programming, I don't think DIRECTV could swing an HD only package.

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 36
    paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    The biggest advantage to Dish Network for HD-only packages is that they can advertise them as "All HD," which makes it sound like every channel on Dish is HD until you look into it.

I'm not saying that's any more or less misleading than HD channel counts that everyone does, but it is misleading.

5. Feb 5, 2009 #5 of 36
    CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    Thanks for the responses, guys. I guess I hadn't thought that through very well. I did the math, and I pay about $15 more than Turbo HD's top package (to which I would subscribe, given the channel lineup I prefer) for all SD channels and several HD channels that Dish doesn't carry (Speed, Spike, my local Fox affiliate and Smithsonian HD). The only thing I miss is Travel HD, which I can live without. So, I didn't make such a bad decision by switching after all.

6. Feb 5, 2009 #6 of 36
    tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    DirecTV's HD lineup is getting close to complete enough for my purposes where I would probably subscribe to an all HD package if it were offered. Hey, even if it only saved 10 or 15 bucks a month I'd take it.

7. Feb 5, 2009 #7 of 36
    bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Also keep in mind that Dish is raising the rates on those HD package by $10 bucks so if you just did a comparison and it's $15 cheaper then it will be only $5 cheaper after the rates go up. Now with the DirecTV $3 increase that means you'd save $8 for a lot less channels.

Could be worth it for some.

8. Feb 5, 2009 #8 of 36
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    It really seems useless when you figure how many people do not have all HD sets in their house.

9. Feb 5, 2009 #9 of 36
    Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    At this point, there are several SD channels that I watch on occasion, so until they are in HD, I don't think I'd be interested.

Now, if PBS, AMC, TCM, Travel Channel, Chiller, and a few others went HD, an all-HD package would suit me just fine.

Jeff

10. CorpITGuy

CorpITGuy Godfather

Apr 11, 2007
    True, but you can always letterbox the 16:9 HD feed on your SD TVs. Not ideal, but it'd work.

On Dish, you still get your locals in SD if they aren't available in HD when you subscribe to an all-HD package. So, PBS isn't an issue for Dish users. I sure hope I get PBS in HD soon.

11. Satsince1978

Satsince1978 Mentor

Jun 28, 2007
    I had a problem and got up to a lady who said she was from the office of the president of DirecTV and she said "If enough people would ask for a HD ONLY PACKAGE they would consider it but right now not to many were asking" SO PLEASE CALL OR EMAIL AND ASK!

12. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I know a Dish user who is ok with their HD only package but every now and then there is program on a channel that Dish doesn't carry in HD. I would guess when D12 is launched and is broadcasting that about all the major channels will be in HD on DirecTV.

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Dish is desperate for subscribers, so they'll do anything they can to get them. DirecTV isn't desperate, so they don't need to offer a gimmicky HD-only package.

14. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Do the math on the cost per channel for HD only packages and tell me it's still a good deal.

15. ht2

ht2 Mentor

Dec 14, 2008
    +1.

HD package is not gimmick.
    More options is always better. If you don't like it pick other option.

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    It is absolutely a gimmick. The fact that you want it doesn't change that.

17. rustynails

rustynails Godfather

Apr 24, 2008
    I think our chances of getting an all HD package is as likely as us getting DLB!

18. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Don't get me wrong, I don't think it'll happen. I just think it would be cool if it did happen. It's absolutely a gimmick. If there were cable options back when TV switched from B&W to color I'd liken it to a provider offering an "all color" package. It will only be relevant for a few years while content providers make the switch and consumers switch to the new technology.

19. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is no more a gimmick than a family or foreign language package. An all HD package would offer a subset of programming for some fraction of the price of what the SD + HD equivalent would cost.

Maybe if they called it the "Better Than VHS Quality" package?

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    They call all of these packages....because its about packaging (to the market).

An HD-only package on DirecTV....I suspect not...at least not in that form or by that name.