1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All ODD transponders on 101 go out?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by troyw2000, Nov 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troyw2000

troyw2000 New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    I've only had D* for about a week now, and installed a new RCA-8900 (including SATC) oval dish yesterday.

At precisely midnight EST I lost most of my channels. I checked the signals and I lost all the ODD transponders on the 101 (119 and 110 were fine). The EVEN transponders were all normal strength (97-100%). The channels were all back when I checked this morning.

Any ideas what might have caused it? Does D* have any schedule maintainence windows? (The CSR I spoke to this morning didn't have any answers).

2. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I'd check your own installation - probably a cable type or multiswitch issue...

3. troyw2000

troyw2000 New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    I realize it's usually a cabling issue, but...

I had no problems, all signals were good (90%+ on all TP's) all day after I installed the dish. The multiswitch is actually built into the LNB's (it's an RCA-8900) so I can't really do anything with that.

I make darn good RG6 runs anyways :)

So, no one else experienced a drop?

4. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    Did it RAIN on your new cable ? Not-weather-proofed connectors (especially those that are exposed) can let in water and cause all kinds of problems.

5. troyw2000

troyw2000 New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    Negative, no rain till this morning. Actually - it's been working with no further problem, and it's been storming all day!

6. troyw2000

troyw2000 New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    I think I should mention that these RG6 runs have been there, and working w/o problem since the original install. All I did yesterday was swap the round out for the new oval.

The coax connections are secure, and shielded from the elements. I guess my real question is whether or not D* ever has "outage" periods for satellite maintainence, etc.

7. troyw2000

troyw2000 New Member

Nov 6, 2002
    If anyone's interested - I finally found the problem and resolved it.

When I installed the RCA-8900 (multisat phase III) I connected the coax to the 2 LEFTMOST connectors on the built-in multiswitch. So after fiddling with the dish IN THE DARK for a couple hours I decided to move them to the 2 RIGHTMOST connectors as a last-ditch effort.

Guess what? All channels come in beautifully now. I feel kinda stupid :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.