1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost got a 942 and went back to Dish, but...

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Jediturtle, Sep 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 9, 2005 #1 of 15
    Jediturtle

Jediturtle New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Hello all,
    Below is a post that I posted on HomeTheaterSpot today. I thought I would copy you guys to see if you have any input or ideas to help me out. A little background: I was a Dish customer for 5 or so years, but canceled them about 2 years ago and went to DirecTV. There is a member on HTSpot who has just been able to get a 942 leased with no money upfront, and I have read a couple of other threads of people with similar experiences. See what you think. Thanks!

So after reading of a number of people getting the 942 on a lease for no money up front, I decided to make the change yesterday. I called up Dish and they told me that I would qualify as a "new" customer since it has been a few years since I canceled their service. However, they told me it would be a $250 "upgrade" fee for the privaledge of leasing the box from them. Huh? $250 to lease when I could BUY the HD Directivo for $199, I don't think so. Not to mention others have gotten it for nothing. So I politely ended the call since we were not understanding each other, and decided to stop in at the Radio Shack on the way home to see what they knew.

Well, the manager of the Radio Shack assured me right away that the promotion did in fact include the 942 for nothing down. I must have asked him half a dozen times if he was sure, and he said yes. I decided to make the purchase then and there as long as he was sure. I paid him $49 for an activation card. All I had to do was call the number, give them the code, and tell them what I wanted. Easy as pie, right? I wish.

So the first call to Dish centered around the fact that I was a previous customer (even though it was 2+ years ago) and therefore was not eligible to lease. I would have to use my old equipment (it was apparantly a big deal that I still had it in a closet..even though I owned it, not leased), or buy the new equipment. She barely listened to my side, and just continued on with her script from which I could barely get in a word edgewise. I asked for a supervisor, but after sitting on hold while my supper got cold, I decided to call back later.

Then it occured to me...of course. My wife has never been a Dish customer. I was a customer before we got married, so we should be fine as long as she set it up. Not trying to get around the system, just trying to get what I was told I could. So she called, and all went well until they said that to get the 942, we had to buy it for $800 or they would do us a big favor by leasing it to us for $250 upfront. Umm...no. We specifically asked the guy at Radio Shack like 6 times, and we knew others had gotten it for nothing. No luck. Asked for a supervisor..got the same speech from her. We are guessing the "supervisor" was just the girl next to our first CSR, but who knows. Same script, same "too bad" story. Told them about DirecTV's deal, no luck there either. It didn't sound like the could give us the deal, even if they wanted to.

Now my plan it to go back to Radio Shack and explain things to them and see if they can help. Now I know Radio Shack is not exactly the electronics experts they claim to be, but being an authorized Dish dealer, you would thing that what they sell should be honored. I don't know if I'll get anywhere with them other than my $49 back, but I figure it is worth the shot.

So what would you guys do, any ideas? Anyone know a magic customer service number where you can talk to someone from this country who knows what is going on and can actually help, or am I just screwed? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

2. Sep 9, 2005 #2 of 15
    Nightlife1970

Nightlife1970 Legend

Aug 10, 2005
    First off I have never seen anybody get a 942 with no upfront cost. I don't know how these people got a 942 with no upfront, and I would suspect that they really did not. As Dish sends the 942 right to the customer. Otherwise you would have to buy it from a retailer. So don't feel like E* is picking on you, that is what it costs to get a 942. Maybe you can try to get one of those people who got it free to tell you how they did it. I would be intrested to hear the answer.

Comparing the 942 to the D* Tivo is not the same. The 942 can run 2 Tv's at no additional cost ( as long as you keep a phone line connected to it ). You would need 2 receivers from direct tv to equal a 942.

I don't want you to take this as an attack. If you want the latest and greatest stuff you have to pay for it. Everybody gets all caught up in the Free Free Free. With what the 942 costs it takes along time for E* to get their money back.

3. Sep 9, 2005 #3 of 15
    Jediturtle

Jediturtle New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Completely understood, and I do not take it as an attack. Yes, I did get caught up in Free. I desperately want HD, but not at the expense of a DVR and I do not have the $250 to drop on the system right now, or I would do it. I know they offer a package to get one HD receiver and one SD DVR, but that is useless to me if I can't record HD.

As for the comparison to the D* Tivo, I see where you are coming from, but I do not completely buy into the 2 TV thing. Granted I am not completely familiar with the operation of the 942, but to me it is not worth it to run two TVs if I lose the ability of multiple tuner recording. It could be that it can do both and I just do not understand the functionality fully though. The two boxes are fairly similar though...with the Tivo you give up the multi-TV thing, but with the 942 you give up dual tuner OTA. It's all give and take, but I think they even out pretty well from my research. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that I can BUY a HDTivo for $199, but I have to LEASE a 942 for $250 plus a monthly fee...and then I do not own it. To me a lease should never have a upfront fee attached...it just doesn't add up, but that's just my opinion. If it came down to it and I could get either system for the same price (be it lease or buy), I would still go with Dish as they are kicking D*'s butt right now with HD offerings. This whole run around has left a really bitter taste in my mouth though. Not only the whole former customer "punishment", but also not honoring what a authorized dealer sold me...just doesn't seem right.

Radio Shack is contacting their rep for me, so hopefully something will still come of this. I guess we shall see how it all pans out. Thanks for the reply and insights.

4. Sep 9, 2005 #4 of 15
    socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    Yes a agree that having the capability of running 2 TV is cool, Tivo does have a much better user interface and it does record base on the title not the time. This is a huge issue with me. I miss shows don't get recorded because they move time for what ever reason, and I end up with a recording that I do not care about.

5. Sep 9, 2005 #5 of 15
    Jediturtle

Jediturtle New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Socceteer,
    Thanks for the reply, but I think you are confusing the 942 with the 921. 942 does full name based recording, much like the Tivo. It's a huge step up from the 921 from what I gather.

6. Sep 9, 2005 #6 of 15
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Last time I checked, you lease a car, you don't just drive it off the lot and start paying per month, there are upfront fees that come with it. (so much $$ at signing)

You are a former customer, you said so your self. You can still do the former DHA promotion, you just have to sign up for a two year commitment. You chose to leave whatever the circumstances, and gave money to the competition, so if you want to come back it is going to cost you a bit. That is business. It's your choice on whether you want to play in Dish's ballpark or in someone else's.
    Not to slam you, but just telling it like I see it.

7. Sep 9, 2005 #7 of 15
    rocky01

rocky01 Mentor

Mar 19, 2005
    they should lease all equipment (with no upfront or absolutely minimal, >$50, cost) to their best customers, esp the ones who have been with them for a long time. chances are they buy everything dish has to offer anyhow. if they treat existing customers nice noone is tempted to leave and perhaps never come back. just a better business model, imo. this new customer red carpet thing is way out of hand i say, and insulting to the "rest of us" who in the long haul stand to allow dish to recoup any losses several times over. of course i'm a realist -- i'm not holding my breath. i do respect the fact that they have an eye on the bottom line so they remain an institution and not like the airlines or enron, i suppose. good grief.

8. Sep 9, 2005 #8 of 15
    tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Actually the formers promotion is now just 18 months, just like the new customer promo.

9. Sep 9, 2005 #9 of 15
    Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    See Dish is already giving you a six month break from what they were making former sign a couple months ago. :D

10. Nightlife1970

Nightlife1970 Legend

Aug 10, 2005
    The thing is new customers may seem like they get a better deal. They get 4 Tv's installed free no equipment to buy yada yada yada. The thing is if you signed up 5 years ago, the equipment cost alot more than it does now. You may have had to pay 49.99 to get installed (they were paying more to installers because they did not have as many jobs), and you only got 2 TV's free. Tech always goes down in cost with time. If it is new it costs alot ( remember how much CD players were when they first came out).

11. BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    You don't. In dual mode the 942 can record 3 different HD streams (2 sat, 1 DTV) while 2 TVs watch different previously recorded programs. See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/330 for a link to the in-home review which details use of the 942.

The monthly lease rate for the $699 942 is the same as for the entry-level ~$99 311. An upfront payment is required much as a larger upfront payment is required when leasing a more expensive car. It will still take almost 6 years of lease payments to reach the purchase price. I have called that a bargain but do see your point that the D* acquisition cost is less *and* has no on-going lease fee.

12. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    Point being that a former customer gets the same deal as a new one now. Used to be a new customer could choose 1 or 2 years, but a former had to sign for 2. Now everyone gets 18 months.

13. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    And my point was that that 18 months is six months less than the 24 months they were requiring for formers last quarter.

14. Pete-NM

Pete-NM Cool Member

Aug 25, 2005
    I did the 250$ lease deal for a 942 and not sure if this is what happened with everone that did a lease but the 250$ cash went to credit my account's ballance. Basicly it paid a few months advance on my bill. So at least for me the upfront payment didn't enter a black hole.

15. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...

Good now that we've cleared that up and we're both on the same page, just as we were to start with it seems! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.