1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative CCK Hook-up - Would this work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by KCWolfPck, Jul 19, 2013.

1. KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck Legend

Jul 10, 2006
    I am currently running a whole home DVR network which is connected to the internet via the CCK access to my wireless router. It seems that the wireless internet connection is often lost and as a result, I am not always able to use the iPad app or GenieGo with any sort of reliability or consistency.

Since the problem seems to be with only losing the internet connection (i.e. the whole home function still works on all receivers), I am going to try to turn my wireless connection into a wired connection.

The wireless router I use in an Apple Time Capsule. What I am hoping will work is to use my old Apple Extreme as a wireless bridge. I plan to install the Apple Extreme next to my CCK, and plug an ethernet cable from the Apple Extreme directly to the ethernet port of the CCK. After that, I will rerun the network set-up as a wired network (because to the CCK it will appear as wired). I know my Apple Extreme will remain connected to the Time Capsule...so I am hoping this will fix the problem.

Any reason that this won't work?

Thanks.

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Why is wireless coming into the picture at all, as you don't mention a wireless CCK. Is that what you have? Your proposal may work, but may also give lots of drops.

3. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    If you do have a wireless cck like it sounds then that'll work.

Are you still planning on going wirelessly from the airport to the time capsule? If so the apple devices tend to be a bit more reliable but your still wireless and susceptible to some issues even though in general this may improve your setup.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Using Apple branding terminology is an enormous source of confusion. The AirPort (Extreme) is a simple router that can function as a Wireless Access Point (WAP) or, in reverse, as a Wireless Gaming Adapter (WGA). The AirPort Time Capsule (a wireless router with NAS and printer sharing capability).

What it sounds like is that the TS wants to use a WGA (retired AirPort Extreme) for the CCK as the CCK's own Wi-fi functionality doesn't appear to be particularly reliable in maintaining a Wi-fi connection to the router (AirPort Time Capsule).

5. KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck Legend

Jul 10, 2006
    Yes, I do connect the CCK to the internet via wireless (I have a wireless DECA).

I do still plan to connect the AirPort Extreme to the Time Capsule via wireless.

Yes harsh...that is exactly what I am hoping. It sound like my proposed solution may help. I'll report back when I've set it up and tested for a couple days.

6. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Wired is always more reliable than wireless, especially if two way communication is frequent. But if you must (or just want) to use wireless, expect some drops.

7. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I dont understand the redundancy here. Why not use the Airport Extreme as a bridge and bypass the CCK altogether?

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Here's be my question. Is upnp on or off? Turn it off if you can and see if that helps.

9. KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck Legend

Jul 10, 2006
    From what I was told by the installer, the CCK does more than just act as a wireless Internet receiver. It also have a coax cable that puts the Internet data into the coax cable and delivers that Internet data to all of my connected DVRs.

Note: I have the ability to hook an Ethernet cable to all of my DVRs in my home. However, I was told by the installer during the SWiM and whole home set up installation, that if I did that in the new setup, that the whole home wouldn't work. Is that correct? If not, can I just use wired Internet connections for all DVRs for Internet like I used to do prior to the installation. Also, if I did that, would I even need the CCK, or is that required for whole home to work?

Thanks.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    What type of receivers do you have? Do you have a Genie? If you have a Genie you can use it to bridge the Internet to the DirecTV system. if you dont have a genie then you need a CCK or connect all of your receivers with ethernet

11. KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck Legend

Jul 10, 2006
    I have 3 HD DVRs (HR24). I don't have a Genie....just the GenieGo.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    How can the TS bypass the CCK with an Airport Extreme?

You mean an AE can bridge the DECA coax network to WiFi?

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Not true;

Ethernet will work just fine for WH if your home network is operating correctly, but will be unsupported by DIRECTV tech. support

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Because I was under the impression that the TS had a Genie which is not the case.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    sorry, kindly ignore my post

16. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The Airport Extreme can certainly be used in this way (it would be effectively acting like a Game Adapter). However....

Since you say you can run ethernet to any of your DVRs, and you MUST have coax at each DVR, why not simply relocate the CCK to be alongside one of the DVRs? That way you could install it in pass-through mode (use both the coax in and coax out) and also directly wire it to the ethernet. That way you have a completely hard wired ethernet connection and you will still be in a DirecTV supported configuration.

17. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes!

18. KCWolfPck

KCWolfPck Legend

Jul 10, 2006
    I think what you suggested here is exactly what I was proposing in my original post. My CCK is already installed alongside my bedroom DVR. Thanks.

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    But in post five you say wireless.....

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes I agree; :confused:

KCWolfPck, originally I thought you still wanted to go wireless, but this time instead of from the CCK-W then wireless to the Time Capsule router, from the CCK-W (with wireless turned off) connected by ethernet to an AE then wireless to the Time Capsule?