1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always on?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gpadgett, May 18, 2009.

1. gpadgett

gpadgett Cool Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I use a Logitech universal remote for both of my home theater setups. Should I keep the DirectTV receivers "always powered on" or should I have them "powered on and off" (meaning the DirectTV receiver is off when the TV is off; on when it is on.) I am a newer customer and back when I had cable (the Stone Age) I always needed to keep the cable box powered on.

Thanks!

2. mstanka

mstanka Legend

Jan 25, 2003
    The receiver does not turn off, just into standby. I guess it just stops the output of the video.
    My living room I leave mine "on" while in the bedroom it is turned "off".

Does not really matter, it is still "on" either way.

Hope that this helps.

Michael.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The only real difference between "on" and "off" is that the video outputs don't have any signal when it's off, and the INCREDIBLY BRIGHT BLUE LIGHT is always off when the DVR is off.

4. qwsxz

qwsxz AllStar

May 12, 2008
    Back in the HR10-250 days, I would miss recordings sometimes if I put the Tivo in standby. Because of that I am scared to put my HR-21 in standby. I must be paranoid or superstitious.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    One advantage of putting the recorder in standby is that in a case of single back to back recordings on different channels, they'll each be recorded on a different tuner, so you'll get the benefit of full auto-padding on both. Kudos to evan_s for recently pointing this out. /steve

6. ATARI

ATARI Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2007
    Good to know.

Thank you, Steve for pointing out what evan_s pointed out.

7. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I always put mine in standby and I've never missed a recording.

8. MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    Ditto:)

9. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Ditto your Ditto

10. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    got 2 always on, the lights help at night if I have to walk into that room :) and bedroom one is off due to the aircraft ILS light they put on the front of the unit :)

11. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    I use Harmony's on both my DVR and I let them get shut down. I've not missed a recording because they're in standby.

12. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You will not ever miss a recording because it's in standby.

AAMOF, the receiver continues to buffer the live tuner.

When you hit the Off button the only thing that happens is lights go out and there is no output. The hard drive is still going.

There is an argument to be made for always putting it in stby when not in use as the unit knows it can do some internal housekeeping.

In six years with DVR's I've never put mine in stby but I beginning to rethink that. :grin:

Mike

13. cigar95

cigar95 Legend

May 23, 2008
    Thinking practically, how can a user benefit from auto-padding? If a game (or other event) goes into overtime, does this mean that the unit continues to buffer the channel after the recording ends? So if I'm less than 90 minutes behind when I get to the end of the recording, playback will continue uninterrupted using the buffer?

Does the padding disappear on one of the channels when the unit is turned on to watch?

Any other benefits? (I'm not trying to be a pain, just understand if there's some useful functionality to my unit that I'm not aware of.)

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The default autopadding is not for sports, just for routine shows. It covers you for a network early start or late finish... 30 seconds on the front end and 90 on the back end.

Regarding the game, the live buffer can help you under one specific situation, AFAIK: if the foreground tuner happens to be tuned to the game channel before the recording started, it will still be on that channel buffering the most recent 90 minutes when you next sit down to watch. So if you get back to the TV within 90 minutes of the end of the game, some of the game will still be in the live buffer, tho what's buffered may not part of the recording. /steve

15. cigar95

cigar95 Legend

May 23, 2008
    Ah, OK, so this means that the "60 minute" recording will actually save 62 minutes of program, then? (My default is for one minute before and after, so maybe I'm actually getting padding on top of my padding in some cases.)

Now *this* is one I have learned - useful if I'm going to get home within a couple hours of game start, so that I'm within 90 minutes by the time I get to the end of my recording. And once I'm into the buffer, I can push (R) and the buffer will be saved as a separate recording.

To get vaguely back on topic, I typically turn my unit "off" whenever its not in use just because I figure it saves a little electricity.

Thanks again.

The dangerous part about doing this to get the buffer is that when you come home and turn on the TV/DVR, the live game will be on the screen, so it requires a quick "pause and bring up the program list" to avoid getting more than I want.

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Exactly. :)

IIRC, if you are already padding, that defeats autopadding. I know when we were testing this that some of us wished our manual pads could be auto-padded as well, if possible, but I don't think DirecTV agreed with us. Same with manual recordings. Those aren't auto-padded either. That said, I haven't checked it, so I'd be interested to know what you find when you playback one of your pre-padded shows. :)

Neither the show info nor the progress bar show will show 62 minutes for an auto-padded show, BTW. They always show the "scheduled" time, so you'll need to time it with a minute hand or stopwatch to see what's really going on. /steve