1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM 21 Help

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by davidatl14, Jun 17, 2010.

1. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Have (3) AM-21's Hooked up for OTA One is hooked to a HR21/700 other a HR23/700.(2sets)

Never had any problems for close to a Year.

Neither Receiver is now pulling the OTA Channels/signal.

Guide Info is there in both but when turn to an OTA you get a phrase searching for signal in the off air tuner(792)

I went into the Settings and went back to the initial setup reset the settings for OTA nothing changed. I unplugged the AM21 and let it reset by a reboot still getting the same message.

Any help is/would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nabisco

Nabisco Godfather

May 18, 2007
    I had this problem before and ISS tried there best, problem was it wasnt showing the local channels i think? we tried a few software downloads and re setting it up a few times, and a bunch of stuff i dont remember, but the end was a replacement fixed it, that was the only am 21 i came acrossed and i hear they are strong machines... if you have the protection plan you will be good, if not dont be cheap( no offense) it is a great money saver!

defiantly try a few software downloads that is what iss had me do multiple times! Do you know how to force a download?

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The guide information is coming from the SAT. Not the AM21. If you rescan OTA channels, you will probably lose the local OTA channels with -1 after the number if the antenna isn't working.

If they both simultaneously failed, you have an antenna, connector, splitter or preamp problem. Slight chance that both failed together and in that case I'd have to suspect a lightning hit if your antenna is outside.

4. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Unplugged again, rescanned the Channels, they all repopulated in the guide. Both the Primary Channels and the Secondary. Total of 47 Channels. Still getting the same message.

Searching for signal in the Off Air Tuner (792).

Eventually this afternoon I'll crawl behind the entertaiinment stands and plug the antenna feed directly into the TV's.

Major undertaking there because of the outrageous lengths I went to hide the wiring to please wife.:D

If anyone has any other ideas checkpoints, I'm all ears.

Thanks In Advance.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If you have an amp in the system, check it first. It is getting close to the season where power inserters are more likely to fail.

6. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    I do and I will. Thanks for the quick response.

7. gfrang

gfrang Hall Of Fame

Aug 29, 2007
    First try hooking it to the TV and see if you get a signal after you scan if you haven't done so already. If you don't get a signal i would get on the roof and bypass everything from the baulm down to the am21's including lines. Do one thing at a time and check for signal.

8. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    Do you get a signal strength for any of your OTA channels, or do they all show 0?

9. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Just Checked the OTA Channels show zero.

Update strangely enough the guide repopulated with the Channels from the secondary Local. The primary local Channels disappeared on one of the TV's.

10. ciurca

ciurca Godfather

Apr 14, 2009
    Did you ever go straight from OTA to internal tv tuners?

11. sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork Icon

Aug 21, 2008
    Check all your connections, make sure your cables are still in good condition. Also check each connection make sure water didn't leak in, make sure each connection is tight, lose connections can play havoc on digital signals. Finally check your antenna, is it mounted outside....if so make sure it's still pointed at the right location, did the wind blow it around? Also, have you had some very hot days, try checking your signals when the weather is a bit cooler and see if you notice a difference.

12. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Until he does, everyone trying to help is chasing their tails.

If his antenna/connections are working (as evidenced by taking the lead that is currently connected to the AM21 and running it directly to the HDTV), then a full setup from the start needs to be done, not just a repeat setup. Make sure you do this repeat setup with the exact same cable that worked for the HDTV, no splitters, no new cables, use the very same cable (for this test))

Go into the Antenna setup menu (not the satellite menu)!, and:

1. Reset
    2. Upon completion of the Reset do "Initial Setup"
    3. Upon completion do an Edit off Air Channnels
    4. Cursor over to the "Signal Meter" hit select

The "+" on the right edge of the screen will be highligted.

Observe the signal quality on the "default channel", then hit Select to measure the next channel in your list. You'll know you are done, when you wrap around to the channel you started with.

Report your results back here...but not until you verify you are getting a signal to your AM21, by doing what has repeatedly been requested above (connect directly to your hdtv and test your antenna/connections on it.)

13. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Reporting Back:

In one of the stranger things I have seen, Channels/Signal have been restored.

Nothing done on my part other than what has been reported earlier in the thread. Primary and Secondary Locals are all there.

Thanks for all the help and info. It was greatly appreciated.

Curious what the problem might have been.

Going to rearrange and reroute my wiring in the morning making it easier to hook the antenna directly into the TV if this ever happens again.

I will report any changes.

Thanks again to the fine people in this forum.

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    It is possible that as things cooled down for the evening, the problem went away. If both setups came back at the same time, it suggests that my suspicions about the amp were correct.

15. gusbuf

gusbuf DBSTalk Club Member

Aug 20, 2006
    I have an HR23-700 with a direct line from the Antenna (Terrestrial Digital DB4) down to the back of the AM21. Until a few days ago had no problems for the last 16 months with my HR23, or previously with the line going straight into my old HR20-700. Just the other night I lost OTA signal for every OTA channel I was receiving (Buffalo, NY area). Channels still populated in the guide, but every OTA station has no signal. Have re-done the OTA initial setup 3 different times with no results. Any help would be great.

On another note, at the same time this happened (or a few days earlier) my network connection between my wireless network and my HR23 was lost. I have yet to have a chance to set it up again, but does anyone think this is coincidental, or could these two problems have something to do with the early-mid June software update?

16. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    Strangley enough I lost my OTA Channels again yesterday. Back on this morning.

I've ordered another Amp.

Frustrating to say the least. The random occurrences makes it hard to troubleshoot.

17. jsg

jsg Cool Member

Apr 15, 2010
    If you continue to have problems after you replace the amplifier, ask yourself whether the problem correlates with temperature (as suggested above) or wind. Do you have problems with pixelation on the local channels or are they either perfect or gone?

18. susanandmark

susanandmark Godfather

Feb 15, 2007
  19. raromr

raromr Legend

Jun 24, 2010
    I am having the same issue with my HR24-500 and AM21. I either get the 792 error or a what appears to be a recorded show turn out to be a blank recording. Only happens on OTA channels and all of my OTA signals are very strong (90+).

20. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Have you tried your antenna lead on some other kind of a tuner (ie TV)? Your post is one of the few I've seen that didn't involve some sort of amplifier.