1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am-21 Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by weadjust, Aug 15, 2008.

1. weadjust

weadjust AllStar

May 9, 2008
    Tupelo, MS
    I am new to Directv and have a question regarding the AM-21. I have directv and comcast cable for internet. I still get all the comcast SD channels even though I requested basic cable channel 2 -13. It is cheaper to have basic cable and internet than just internet service only.

I have a hr-21 for my HD tv and two D12 receivers for the bedrooms. On the D12 receivers I have the comcast cable attached to the OTA input. On the D12 I can turn of the power to the D12 and and I recieve comcast channels on the tv.

I received an AM-21 today for the HR-21 and plan to install an OTA attena this weekend so I can recieve locals in HD.

My question is what would happen if I hooked Comcast signal up to the OTA input on the AM-21. The only time I would do this would be to watch football or basketball on CSS (Comcast Sports South) not available on Directv. I guess the easiest answer is watch the game in the bedroom, but I would like to know the answer.

Thanks

2. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Nothing would happen.

It is not a pass-through, like the D* SD IRDs.

The AM21 will only tune over-the-air digital (ATSC) signals.

The cable has analog (NTSC) or digital (QAM) signals.

Hook the cable directly to the HDTV. Then you can switch between the D* box input (HDMI or Component) and the TV's tuner.

3. weadjust

weadjust AllStar

May 9, 2008
    Tupelo, MS
    That answers my question. Thanks for the quick response. This is a great site with some excellent infomation.

4. VLaslow

VLaslow Active Member

Aug 16, 2006
    :welcome_s Enjoy the site. I'm sure you will.