1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

AM-21n question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by BennyGregg, May 4, 2014.

1. BennyGregg

BennyGregg Legend

Jul 17, 2009
    I want to test my understanding of how an AM-21n works.

I'm in zip 75605. The AM-21n loads up the channels I want, mostly; but it does not load channel 21-3 from Shreveport, LA. That channel ("Movies!") shows old movies. So, I added as a secondary zip 65802 which has a channel 21-3 listed (but not showing the Movies! channel).

Now, the only channel from zip 65802 that is available to me is 21-3 plus of course I've got the channels from zip 75605, my primary zip.

From all of this I conclude that in order for a channel to even be listed in a pick list in a DTv receiver it has to 1) be listed in a zipcode that is entered into the AM-21 and 2) must also have some level of signal strength. Is this conclusion accurate?

To record the Movies! channel I can make manual recordings - I can't use the guide data to do so as it is incorrect, not showing Movies! listings. There are twelve markets in the transponder database that have an OTA channel that is listed that is showing Movies!. Is there any way to encourage DTv to list all of those channels in the database?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    1. Pretty much
    2. you can't try, but doing hold your breath on a resolution

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And indicative of the magnitude of the problem under #2, consider yourself very lucky if you find anyone at DIRECTV accessible to a customer that's know much of anything about the AM21 much less or how it operates.

For instance, when I complained sometime back about the removal of real OTA scanning from the Genie with AM21 to the Office of the President (the successor to Ellen Filipiak's group and virtual "911" for hard to resolve customer complaint cases) it still was a long painstaking process trying to first explain the basic operation of the AM21 to a Rep. there.

4. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Zip code 75605 KPXJ channel 21 broadcasts on channel 21 so that is where the AM-21 will look for the 21.3 broadcast. Zip code 65802 broadcasts on channel 23 and translates as channel 21.X so it won't see your channel 21.3.

5. BennyGregg

BennyGregg Legend

Jul 17, 2009
    Thanks for all the answers. I did not have much hope that there was a way to get DTv to add my 21-3 to the local OTA database.

With respect to the concern below: all I can say is that what I did worked. If I have my "new" channel 21-3 displayed in the guide, the channel info shows KOZKDT3 and is identified as a PBS affiliate from Springfield, Missouri. When I play channel 21-3, my TV displays what my local 21-3 channel is showing. Hmmm...