1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM/CNN Changes- First Jack Cafferty, now bill Hemmer

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Nick, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    What's going on?

Almost a year ago I abandoned my long-time favorite weekday morning show, the Today Show, to follow üuber-babe Soledad O'Brien to CNN's "American Morning" show. Once the mesmerizing effect of her hotness cooled down a bit (it happens), I noticed that her babeness also had co-hosts, in the person of Bill Hemmer, a rising young turk of broadcast news, and Jack Cafferty, a crusty old codger and fellow member of the venerable "Old Fart's Curmudgeon Society" (OFCS).

I related to Cafferty's intelligent, hard-hitting style of commentary and his biting (bite-me?) go-to-hell attitude. It took me a little longer to warm up to Hemmer, but I warmed up to his no-nonsense reporting style and came to think of him as a "son".

Regrettable for me, Jack Cafferty left the AM show recently with almost no warning other than a brief on-air announcement on his last day. Today, another revolting development - with just 30 minutes to go until the end of the program, it was announced that today would be Hemmer's last.

What the hell is going on with CNN? Are they nuts? :confused: I just hope they don't add a cooking corner!

Looks like it's back to the orning network shows for me - as devoid of news and substance as they are.

Nothing stays the same... :shrug:

2. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Sad, isn't it? (Really! I hate change. :( (Although the older I get the more I've come to accept that fact that it will happen. Hey, that's it. I'm really older than you! :grin: :eek: :rolleyes: ))

Well, Nick. That's whatcha get for not watching "FOX & Friends". ;)

3. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Thanks, but no thanks, Laverne. IMO, FOX news is more style than substance. Their in-motion graphics with accompanying sound effects are a tad much for me. Such extreme animasonics are obviously intended for those with short attention spans or who suffer from serial attacks of narcolepsy.

Just imagine the deliterious effects caused by constant disruption of the higher sleep functions of the brains of those dedicated FOX viewers whose viewing habis are such that they are at risk of burning-in that nauseating rotating bug.

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    I agree with Nick. :D I get real tired of the graphics, the audio and the fact that in the evening Shepard Smith can't put together a proper sentence.

5. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Both the Cafferty and Hemmer departures were announced some time ago---as was the selection of Miles O'Brien. News shows in particular (although the morning shows are a bit different) seldom talk about the cahnges on air.

6. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    I think Shep is kinda cute, but he wears too much make-up. Personally I like Neil Cavuto BE$T. :D

Sorry, Nick. I guess this was supposed to be about something else. :confused:

7. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Laverne, we'll talk about any thang your little ol' heart desires... :shrug:

Yep, Shep's a swet-talkin babe-magnet, alright...he knows how to turn a phrase & that gets him in dutch on occasion. Soledad is still my news honey, except for her thrift shop wardrobe. She needs professional help gettng her away from that bag lady style. :sure:

8. Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I remember when CNN started, the slogan was "The News is the Star". Not anymore. CNN is pushing personalities over news, just like all the other networks.

9. Nick

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Hey, how about the twins doing the news, kinda like Tina Fey and Amy Polson on SNL. :D

10. George

George New Member

Jun 18, 2005
    That's Amy Poehler.