1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i expecting too much.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sorahl, Feb 18, 2009.

1. sorahl

sorahl Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 24, 2002
    Ok. I want to add another receiver to my account, now that I've added a new lcd to our bedroom. I called up today, very nicely, to see what we could do. the answer was nothing. it was just the same price as i see on the site, IE 199 for hd dvr, 99 for others. he wouldn't budge, i didn't yell.
    I even asked to trade the unrequested showtime free for 1 year for a discount on the 199. no go. not interested enuf in adding a billing reciever to my account to work with me.
    that was the end of the convo.

am i asking too much? (i'd pay up to 99 for new HD Dvr)
    did i talk to the wrong person?

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Could be an indication of an overall tightening of things. We've seen a few.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'd call again and see if another CSR, possibly a supervisor, will be more responsive.

4. sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    talked to another csr and the best she could do was to offer a $50 credit on my bill but the receiver is still 199. so net cost 150.
    have to talk to the CFO...she'll be home later

John

5. doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop Godfather

Nov 20, 2007
    do you have and have you checked your online account? If you 've been a customer for long enough you'll get occasional offers on the add receiver page. I got a couple of hr22's for 99 each and an h20 for "Free"

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Are you a gold plated platinum customer that you should get a better price than any other customer? In our society prices are set and products are sold for those prices. Do you go to the grocery store and try to barter over the price of a loaf of bread? If you don't like the price shop around and look for a price you feel comfortable with, don't just start bitchin?

7. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Well, DirecTV like many business' are tightening things up in this economy. If you keep on calling you might eventually get a deal. You can get an HR22/23 at Costco for $169 so I think the $150 offer is fair.

8. sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    boba,

not quite sure where the attitude is coming from.. i didn't scream and complain. I'm just trying to make sure I get the best deal I can from Directv. Buying (leasing) a 200 dollar receiver is hardly buying a loaf of bread. However when I go buy a car, or hire a contractor to work on my house I don't just accept the first price I get. I DO barter and work to get the best price I can. Apparently you don't so maybe I should send some contractor friends your way. They could use the money!

9. sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    I agree.. just need to confer with the CFO before I can pull the trigger.

10. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I have no idea how Directv rates customers, nor what specific criteria trigger certain deals at certain times. In December I clicked over to the "Add a Receiver" page and had an offer for a free SD receiver, free SD DVR, free HD receiver, or $99 HD DVR. The HR22 was on my doorstep two days later. :)

Of course, that offer wasn't there in the months before, nor is it there now. Go figure.

11. sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    :) KNEW i should have decorated that bedroom last december :) then we would have bought the tv sooner...

12. Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    Actually that is good advice.

In November I quit DirecTV. When I quit, DirecTV tried to offer me an HD-DVR for $220. I said no thanks.

Now I get a letter every week from DirecTV offering me some great deal to come back. I think the last offer was something like $30 per month for HD service, and up to 4 free HD DVRs with no installation fee.

It is almost enough to make me consider returning.

13. sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    if i was really willing to leave I would try that but I'm not. DirecTv is doing great by me and I enjoy the CE program as I get to help affect the product on a daily basis. so I'm not going to make idle threats (which in my case they would be).

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Many things factor into whether you can get a discount or not, including how recently you did an upgrade, whether you made any payments late in the past year, and other things like your monthly programming costs.

15. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    What he said. :)

I was just going to ask when your last credit or upgrade was done. That plays a big factor into what's happening.

Cheers,
    Tom

16. sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    yeah. my monthly bill is like 95 dollars.
    However I am an AT&T employee and we just got a $10 discount on our bill because of the new relationship between DirecTv...
    so like I said I'm being treated pretty well and I have no complaints on that score.

17. sorahl

Oct 24, 2002
    as far as any equipment changes/upgrades, not since december after the HR20-700 was released (that's when we were finally able to get ours).

John

18. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008

Call again. CSR roulette often pays dividends. Sooner or later, you'll get one who'll do better for you.

Jeff

19. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    If your last upgrade was nearly two years ago, I'm surprised you aren't eligible for another update. Good luck,
    Tom

20. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    Comparing grocery store shopping with DirecTV shopping is silly.

When you go into a grocery store, you know that prices are fixed, and that you're not going to negotiate over a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk. That's how grocery stores work, everyone knows it, and everyone's expectations are set based on that knowledge.

DirecTV on the other hand, frequently offers perks of various kinds to customers. Spend 15 minutes here on DBStalk searching threads, and you'll find counteless stories of montly bill credits, free movie channels, discounted prices for equipment, reduced/free shipping costs for hardware, etc. DirecTV's business model obviously builds in perks and discounts for various things, and CSR's are obviously permitted in particular circumstances to offer them. The baker at the grocery store isn't. ;)

Jeff