1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I the only one with slow remote at night

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by buckdharma, Apr 25, 2012.

1. buckdharma

buckdharma New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    I have been having problems only at night. I swear Directv is doing something at night and using up the bandwidth. My remote is so slow at night at times is usless. They deny any knowledge and have read all the service Bullitins. BS
    My complaint was escalated ( yea right) to a guy that asked me are you having the problem now? I say no is Day Time. Call our technical line when you are having this problem. Big Friggen circle jerk. I lost my temper and told him to @$#& himself.

I see slow remote issues on this Board but, Am I the only one that has this problem at night?

2. johnchart

johnchart Legend

Sep 17, 2006
    I have the same problem both during the day & at night. Also, I have had times when the batteries were getting low causing problems. Changing them fixed it.

John

3. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    If it's only at night, there could be more IR interference from your TVs backlight at that time. Try turning ambient correction or dynamic backlight off or down and see if that helps. As a test, you could temporarily try to move your receiver so no light from the TV falls on it. Or just put a piece of masking tape (painter's tape) on the IR window of the DVR.

4. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Pretty certain this isn't it.

5. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I seem to experience more issues in the later hours. Especially around 12:30. I'm wondering if the DVRs are programmed to do housekeeping and other maintenance late at night with the assumption that the DVR is going to be used less. It has been improved over the last couple of weeks, but you aren't going crazy.

As relieveing on the stress system as it is to explode on the guy at the other end of the phone, this usually will get you in no better a place. If you are close to the end of your contract, I'd recommend asking to cancel your service. This may help get someone who will be a bit better at listening.

6. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    After realizing this was intended to be constructive, I changed my post. I have seen the same issue as the OP. Since I am using RF, the light issue could not be coming into play. I didn't think of the possiblilty that someone using an IR could have these issues. I tried to change my post before it was seen, but I guess I wasn't quick enough. My apologies.

7. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    ;) Sorry bud....I deleted my post.

8. Xsabresx

Xsabresx Icon

Oct 8, 2007
    Mine is always slow during prime time, but usually the STB is recording two things at once or something.

9. buckdharma

buckdharma New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions, my DVR is set back underneath my moniter. But I will try to move it. And I am not sure it is remote slow issue as all my menus are so sluggish at night. Model HR20-700 if it makes a difference.

10. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    How bright is your backlight? If its set to vivid (the default usually), see what its like, on movie or cinema.

11. buckdharma

buckdharma New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Its in the normal setting not Vivid. Unable to view your setup. Noobe

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Ok...I've seen quite a few sets that default to the backlight being set to full blast because that's what looks best at the store. Not everyone changes it. Just thought it was worth a shot before you went through moving the receiver.

13. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I use RF and do not have as much problems since the switch and have not seen it tied to time of day.

14. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    You do realize the only way to tell if the troubleshooting that is being done is effective is if the issue is occurring right? So the fact that some one told you to call back when the issue is present seems like the right thing to do to me. Sounds like you lost your temper and went off on some one for doing the right thing for you.

That being said, can you be more specific about what exactly happens? You mention that your remote is slow or useless. Have you tested the buttons on the front of the receiver to verify if it's your remote that is slow or the receiver that is slow?

15. buckdharma

buckdharma New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Wrong this has been ongoing, I have made many calls at night. In fact they should have called me at night. This clown that called me today was supposed to be an Escalated Tech. I was fine until I sensed his temper and he would not listen to me. He either was there to long or dosen't care about his job.
    Now You have a good point about it being the Receiver and that is what I told him. I think the receiver is where the problem is. It just manifests its symptom in normal use of the remote. I will try the front buttons as you suggest the next time I have the problem. It is not all the time just most of the time an issue. And never during the day. I should have been more clear of the issue being ongoing. I have been with Directv since their start. By the way I have two remotes. Sorry I tend to write brief. Every function is sluggish menu,list, any operation that there is that the enduser can use.

16. inf0z

inf0z Legend

Oct 15, 2011
    If you test the front buttons on the receiver and it's slow then it's the receiver. If the front buttons work just fine then try the other remote, if the other remote works fine then you have narrowed it down to the one remote being bad. If both remotes have issues and the front panel works fine then something in that room is causing interference.

17. makaiguy

makaiguy Icon DBSTalk Club

Sep 24, 2007
    Aiken, SC
    With the demise of incandescent light bulbs many of us are using fluorescent bulbs now - some of which give off more IR than others.

18. buckdharma

buckdharma New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    I appreciate all the help and I should have named it my Receiver is slow at night. I pretty much know its the Receiver because after changing functions like Guide, List it takes the Remote comand starts to change and sticks on a blank template of the function chosen for maybe 30 seconds. The HR20 must be busy doing something else.

19. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    What's unique about your situation is that your receiver is only slow at night. That's what leads me to think it has some sort of environmental cause. Are you absolutely certain it isn't just as unresponsive at any point during the day? DirecTV DVRs are normally unresponsive, but it's usually all the time, and only gets worse at night when it does it's housekeeping. How would you describe the response during the day? Does the DVR respond immediately to the remote, or is there a delay at times?

20. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Are you recording 2 things at once when this happens?