1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am21 and H23

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sstv, Jan 26, 2010.

1. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    My H20 went belly up so a quick call to directv and a Tech shows up at my door.
    I told the CSR that OTA was important so a AM21 would be needed. No problem I was told.
    Tech says big problem as the H23 can not use a AM21 it has to be a HR23. I then had my wife call Directv and they confirmed that a AM21 wont work with a H23. They told her that some big bucks would get us a HR23, a AM21, and a two year commitment.
    Can someone confirm that a AM21 wont work with a H23?

SSTV

2. bhuber

bhuber Legend

Sep 13, 2004
    Wilton, IA
  3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    It works just fine with the current national release. I'm moving this to the HD receiver forum.

4. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    You confirmed what I thought. When the H23 was installed today, 0x434D software downloaded. I guess this software is good for a AM21.
    We talked to 3 or 4 CSR's and thay all said "no way".
    Anybody got a suggestion as to who I need to talk to?
    Thanks for the quick responses.

SSTV

5. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    I have an H23-600 with 0x434d, and an AM21, and it works just fine. Once it's hooked up, select "Sat & Ant" from the setup menu, just like you would with the H20. The AM21 is deeper than the H23, so I have the AM21 on the bottom.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The H21/23 originally did not have support for the AM21 when it was released, and the firmware to support it was only updated about, oh, 6 months or so ago. It's very likely that the CSRs are looking at outdated information that didn't get updated along with the new firmware.

Having run a tech support center, I can tell you it is very difficult to keep tech information current, especially when things change daily. Fortunately, we have this site, full of hobbiests and industry workers who keep up on all the latest details.

7. sstv

sstv Legend

Jul 30, 2006
    DALLAS TX
    Hi All
    I sent an E-MAIL to Directv customer service discribing the problem and referenced some of the information from this post.
    To quote from their response "Let me inform you that you must already have an HR21 or higher, or a R22 to be able to use an AM21"
    Something has changed in regards to the AM21 policy at Directv.
    SSTV

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Whoever answered your email is wrong. They still think that it only works with DVRs (thats what the HR21 and higher, or R22 bit is about) which is not correct. I don't know how to go about educating them though. I guess call back and keep asking for the persons supervisor until you get someone who actually knows what is going on, or will take the time to actually talk to the technical department and find out that their information is outdated.