1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

AM21 prices

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jclewter79, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Hello guys and gals. I am very serious about jumping ship and coming over to the D* side. I have a few questions and though I would ask ya'll while I have to wait until 7am to call D* myself. First of all should I be able to get an AM21 included for free with a 3 room genie install and, also can 2 AM21s be hooked up to 1 HR34 for a total of 4 ota tuners? If so should I be able to get both for free? Also should I be able to get a ground level pole mounted install for no extra charge? Thank ya'll in advance for the help.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using DBSTalk mobile app

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You can connect only one AM21 to a Genie. Prices for the requirement will vary. Free is possible but no exact way to predict.

Some phone reps dont know what an AM21 is so you may need to call more than once.

3. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Ok thank you for the info. I wish there was an option to add the AM21 for the online form.

4. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Anybody know about the pole mount?

5. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    If a pole mount is need for LOS issues then it will be done at no charge. If a normal mount will work but you want a pole mount for aesthetic reasons then you will have to pay for it.

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If your locals are available in HD from sat, AM21's are not usually given away. In most cases you cant actually order an AM21 until you have equipment on your acct that can use one. Only 1 per DVR, no matter what model. They are $50 and you can order them directly from your D* acct page under equipment after you are a customer. Pole mounts can cost extra depending...if its the only way to get you service, its usually included. If you choose to have a pole mount but it isnt a necessity, its a lot of work to put one in so most techs are well within their rights to charge a standard install fee for it.

7. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Well, my current E* dish is pole mounted. Maybe the pole can be reused.

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Most likely not..I believe they each use different diameter poles for their dishes... I believe direct requires a 2" OD pole...

9. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    You could also order the AM21 yourself from somewhere like Amazon or Solid Signal and have it on hand when you get everything else installed. However, don't expect the installer to hook it up for you, most of them have no idea what it is and will get confused by it.

10. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Don't forget to check the "Wanted to Sell" section here at DBStalk.

11. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I got my AM21 free when I signed up. I did not do it online, though.

The other poster is dead on - most people at Directv have no idea what am AM21 is. When an installer came out to do the Genie upgrade and he saw it and didn't want to connect it because he didn't think it did anything. I showed him, but he didn't seem to understand. (Antenna? Over the air? Didnt' that go away a few years ago? UGH.)

12. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    Unreal lol

13. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The TWC cable installer a few years back couldn't figure out how I was watching TV before they turned my service on. "You're not supposed to get that channel [referring to an "out-of-market" local channel that is the 4th strongest signal I receive] in Alamance County."

Because the transmitter knows to stop at the county line. And continue in one town, but only SD. DMAs are the dumbest part of TV, IMO.

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I got my AM21 free when I signed up. I did not do it online, though.

The other poster is dead on - most people at Directv have no idea what am AM21 is. When an installer came out to do the Genie upgrade and he saw it and didn't want to connect it because he didn't think it did anything. I showed him, but he didn't seem to understand. (Antenna? Over the air? Didnt' that go away a few years ago? UGH.)
    HOw long ago? were you able to receiver locals via satellite?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

15. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Sounds about like how the guys at dish network are with their ota tuners. You would think that these companies would do a better job of educating their employees about products that they provide.

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Oh yes, I get LIL on D*. I live on the DMA line. If I lived 7 miles east of here, I would have Raleigh, NC locals instead of Greensboro, NC locals. With an antenna, some the Raleigh signals are stronger and work quite well with the AM21. I have never even been to the city that my Directv-provided local NBC station is from. I also do not get that channel OTA (and the PBS from the same site, although it's just a mirror of the PBS that I get from Raleigh). I prefer the Raleigh locals for the most part, since they cover areas like Orange Co (Chapel Hill) and Durham, which I go to often. I can't remember the last time I went to Greensboro.

I forget when this happened exactly. It was March or April (ish) of this year.

17. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    That's me too. If I lived 5 miles South of where I do I could get locals, as it is I have to get distant networks and pay $$$

18. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Directv has no control over the DMA lines...they just have to follow the rules, so that makes OTA a great option for those who spend most of their time and energy on what is considered their neighboring DMA

19. 242424

242424 AllStar

Mar 22, 2012
    OTA gets me one channel.......