1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Am21 Problems

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mloiterman, Jun 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    My AM21 seems dead - no signal to any of my off-air channels. It was working fine just a few weeks ago.

I have rebooted it, and the receiver many times. The antenna is in my attic and hasn't been touched or moved since it was put it.

My DVR is an HR21.

The software on these DirecTV HD-DVR is so poor (see the mess from a few days ago), I have to wonder if something screwed up my AM21.

What can I do to get my off-air channels back...

:(

2. WERA689

WERA689 DIRECTV A-Team

Oct 15, 2006
    Canton, GA
    I recently had to unplug the USB cable, and plug it back in. That did it for me.

3. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I tried that. No change. How did you do that? Did you unplug USB, reboot, and then try? Did you just unplug and do initial setup?

Can you provide some more details?

I ordered a new AM21 which should be here on Monday or Tuesday since I don't have a good way of testing the cable and antenna.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    remove am21 and reset (to remove) all ota channels. then do a reoot.
    then go through process of re-adding am21 and reboot.
    sounds convoluted, and it is, but I had 1 that acted that way and this was only solution.
    also use different usb cord when readding to be sure.

5. ThePrisoner

ThePrisoner Legend

Jul 11, 2009
    My AM21 died a few weeks ago also. I reset, changed USB cables, unplugged and even took it out of the system and than connected it back in a week later. Nothing. May get another one even though this one lasted 5 months. I know they are only $50 but come on. I have my OTA going right to my display for now.

6. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I've had two AM21s since they were first released, and both continue to work just fine. I don't think there is a reliability problem, more likely just the luck of the draw.

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I have a feeling that there are a lot of unused AM21s out there that might go for cheap. Might be worth looking into.

8. gcd0865

gcd0865 Legend

Jul 23, 2008
  9. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    IIRC, the way to get it replaced under the PP was to NOT say the AM21 was dead but first ask what is covered by the plan. Once they say "everything, top to bottom", say "That's good, because my AM21 just died" :D

10. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    For now, I have just ordered a replacement for $50.00. We'll see if that fixes it. I'll deal with trying to get reimbursed later, if need be.

Sigh. DirecTV ought to be embarrassed by the quality of its hardware and software. It's really a shame.

11. hasan

hasan New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    It's been over 3 years with the recent cycle of HR2x series for me, and I don't find anything to assign shame for. Are there bugs, sure. Tons have been fixed, and many new features have been added. All in all, I'm a very happy camper, including with the two AM21s that I've had for quite a while.

I see no reason for D* to be embarrassed about anything long term, other than some poorly trained CSRs, who are indeed, legendary. :)

As I've watched the thousands of messages go by in the last 3+ years, I have noticed a tendency for the following to obtain:

"Everything is alright, until it's not, and then it never was." I am not saying you fit into this, as you are very new to the forums, but it is a pattern that I see people fall into.

There are a bajillion things right with D*, service, hardware and software. There are plenty of things to work on in these same areas. That's how it is. (typically for any provider of services, software and hardware).

At least D* listens, responds and continues to develop the boxes. They don't do everything I would like, or the way I would like, but on balance, I'm simply a happy camper.

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Please take a reality check, its a $50 add-on ATSC tuner with a 90 day warranty, you had one that went bad, as all electronics can do. a $10k Plasma could go bad just as easily.

13. mloiterman

mloiterman Cool Member

Aug 20, 2007
    You've got a point here. I'm just frustrated that perfectly good hardware has just died for no obvious reason and I've got to pay to make it right. Does it happen? Sure. Do I have to like it? No.

That said, and I don't want to spark a war on this, I feel like DirecTV ought to leave the hardware and software to someone else.