1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AM21 question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by abenjami, Dec 2, 2008.

1. abenjami

abenjami Cool Member

Aug 29, 2008
    I currently have an HR22 box. I understand if you have 2 coax lines going into it from your dish that you can record 2 programs at the same time.

Unfortunately for me, I only have 1 coax right now going into it because I'm in an MDU building that has not upgraded to the newer system that uses SWM's. Thus, I can only record the program I'm watching.

If I add a AM21, would I be able to record 2 programs at the same time, such as one my HR22 is watching plus a local OTA coming in through the AM21?

2. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    You would need an antenna also to go with the AM21 but you would be able to record two OTA programs at the same time or one OTA and one SAT program at the same time.

3. arxaw

arxaw Icon

Jul 13, 2003
    If you have an OTA antenna connected to the AM21/HR22, you can record two OTA channels, or one OTA + one satellite channel at the same time.

4. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    This is a question from a place of ignorance, but if you only have one sat line connected, even if you have the OTA solution, CAN you still record two shows (2 OTA or 1 of each), or will the DVR only recognize a single tuner set up and still only allow a single recording?

5. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    It will allow you to record one of each or two OTA programs at the same time.

It will detect two OTA tuners but only one SAT tuner.

6. Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    Unlike the old HR10-250...if you had one sat tuner active...only one OTA tuner was active, too.