1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

AM21 tuner works with D12 receiver?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Lakeral24, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Lakeral24

Lakeral24 New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Hello, I wanted to know if anyone knows if the directv AM21 tuner integrates with a D12 receiver? I want to integrate OTA channels into my program guide, but can not so far. So I heard about the tuner working,
    But wanted to make sure if it works with D12?

Thanks!

2. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Its does not work with a D12 receiver.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And assuming by the question about the D12 its SD service you have;

The only receiver you can use for SD only service which is compatible with the AM21 is an R22.

4. Lakeral24

Lakeral24 New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Okay thanks, So the R22 receiver would integrate the OTA channels into program guide?

5. Lakeral24

Lakeral24 New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Also, my D12 receiver has a USB port in the back, so I thought it might work with the tuner since it connects via USB

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes;

And one additional side benefit of the R22, if you happen to be in an MPEG-4 only locals market, DIRECTV will allow the R22 to receive whatever satellite delivered locals in HD as well.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The problem is getting an R22.....

8. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If he lived in an MPEG-4 only market he wouldn't have a D12, he would have an H2x (they only install MPEG-4 capable receivers in MPEG-4 only locations).

9. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I know;

I just added that additional comment for the sake of other readers here who happen to live in such MPEG-4 only areas. Not that the current TS is in one,

Perhaps I should have phrased it better.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    That's naturally what I thought as well, that the R22 was essentially history.

However, I was surprised to see a July 3rd 2013 Blast Facts titled "R22 Re-introduced to SD-DVR Lineup," in the latest DIRECTV August "Must See" training video with the commentator saying "the R22 was returning to the field." :confused:

Followed by another Blast Facts dated July 10th 2013, stating the R22 was also to be broadband eligible as well.

11. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    that is all true, but since there are not many of these units,(production stopped awhile ago) it makes that much harder.

12. Lakeral24

Lakeral24 New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Can some one give me a list of directv receivers that will integrate OTA channels into program guide with and without AM21 tuner?

Thanks!

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Hughes HR10-250 - Obsolete as a satellite HD receiver and DVR, but will receive OTA DTV channels through dual integrated ATSC tuners.

H20 - Obsolete satellite HD receiver, but will receive satellite HD and OTA DTV channels through a single integrated ATSC tuner,

HR20 - Soon to be obsolete satellite HD-DVR. Will receive OTA DTV channels with it's dual integrated ATSC off-air tuners.

H21 - Older HD receiver, will receive OTA ATSC channels using a single tuner from the AM21(N).

HR21 - Older HD-DVR, will receive OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N)

R22 - Older but "unique" SD/HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

HR22 - Older HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N)

H23 - Older HD receiver, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from a single tuner of an AM21(N).

HR23 - Older HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

H24 - Newer HD receiver, will receive and integrate into guide off-air ATSC channels from a single tuner of an AM21(N).

HR24 - Newer HD-DVR, will receive and integrate into guide off-air ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

H25 - Newer HD receiver, will receive and integrate into guide off-air ATSC channels from a single tuner of an AM21(N).

THR22 - Newer TIVO HD-DVR (HR22 platform) will receive OTA channel and integrate them into guide from both tuners of an AM21(N)

HR34 (Genie) - Newer HD-DVR and MRV/RVU server, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

HR44 (Genie) - Newest HD-DVR and MRV/RVU server, will receive and integrate into guide OTA ATSC channels from both tuners of an AM21(N).

This about covers it in a nutshell and historical order from what I can remember ....

EDIT: Sorry, forgot earlier to add the HD-TIVO, which is easy to do given its limitations and the way its treated by DIRECTV :)

14. moghedien

moghedien Legend

Dec 3, 2007
    Any receiver on this page listed under "HDTV Directv Satellite Tuners" should have either an integrated ATSC tuner or can be connected to the AM21(Directv branded receivers only...)

http://www.tech-faq.com/directv-receivers.html

15. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I realize the H20 is considered obsolete by Directv because it won't integrate into a whole home network, but since it works perfectly in both a SWM or non-SWM setup and includes a ATSC tuner it may be perfect for Lakeral24's needs. It is HD, but obviously can connect to a SD TV as well. He'd have to buy an owned one off Ebay, but they're pretty cheap and readily available. Since Directv makes you buy the AM21 (I think?) it might make sense to buy an H20 instead. Just make sure you get an H20-100, the few -600s that may still be functional are probably on their way out. -100s by comparison have been very reliable - I have I think 16 of them now, only one has ever died. I've got only one -600 left, and a half dozen dead ones sitting in storage waiting for me to have the time to recycle them with Directv.

You also left out the H10, which has an ATSC/NTSC tuner. It works only in a legacy (non-SWM) install, and only receives Directv programming in SD, but displays ATSC locals in HD via HDMI or component. I recently activated a couple I'd had sitting in storage unused since summer 2006, one for an office, the other for Sonictap. Not worth trying to acquire unless you already have one or get it for free, just thought I'd point out the omission :)