1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

AM21 wiring/diplex ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by premio, Jan 1, 2013.

1. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    I wanted to see if anything has changed, and didn't find a recent thread.

Can I pass sat and OTA over a single cable through a SWM8 either by the internal diplexer, or by reserving a SWM channel somehow? I'm considering hooking up the AM21 to the HR34, but have some limitations in my ability to add another cable.

I only have one HR34 and one HR21 in my environment, and utilize whole home features.

thx

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The part that I highlighted, means you can't.

3. premio

premio Godfather

Sep 26, 2006
    thanks Vos, good to see you still kicking around these parts.

I made sure to mention that because I remember that being the limiting factor before - maybe some day.

edit: if i dumped the hr21 for a c31 genie client, do I still have the same limitation?

4. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    What you describe will work perfectly fine, so long as you use Ethernet for the MRV (AKA: Whole Home), rather than DECA. If not, you're out of luck.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Even more so because the C31 needs the DECA band.

A "band-Aid" would be to block the DECA from the HR34, since it can't be disabled, and go ethernet for networking.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you go all ethernet, yeah you can do that, but aren't you just adding a cable to get rid of a cable?